986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   top cleaner / treatment (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/29062-top-cleaner-treatment.html)

Renn 05-28-2011 06:03 AM

top cleaner / treatment

Some birds dive bombed my black soft top (2006 Boxster).

I had the car professionally detailed, but I don't know what those SOBs had eaten, because there still are white-ish bleached looking spots on the top.

Recommend any cleaner / treatment for the top, to get rid of those spots and restore a uniform black look to the top?

Flavor 987S 05-28-2011 11:25 AM

Ragg Topp

Use the Ragg Topp Cleaner. Use a quality, soft cleaning brush. I use a leather cleaning brush. Let dry for a couple days. If spots are not gone, rewash again. Let dry again a couple days. If spots gone, vacuum, tape roller, and vacuum again. Then apply 3-4 light coats of Ragg Topp Protectant. Each coat needs about 20-30 minutes dry time between coats. Spray a coat, then take a nice high quality paint brush, and brush into the fabric top. Let dry. Vacuum. Repeat.

A couple thin, cheap, plastic painters tarps come in handy. As does some 2 inch blue painters tape for masking off areas. Wipe the rear glass off after each coat. When completely done, give the rear window a good cleaning (1 part denatured alcohol to 2 parts distilled water, spray on window only cloth, wash window, polish dry with seperate towel).

My 2006 Cocoa top looks as good (even better) since the day she was born, even after 40,000 miles. And a few Concours wins.

As a tip, always carry a spray bottle of distilled water with your car. If you see a bird bomb, you car hit it with the spray bottle, and avoid issues later. Works on the top and paint.

If you have any questions or concerns, contact Rick at Ragg Topp at rick@wolfsteins.com. Good guy.

teamwenz 05-28-2011 12:45 PM

Second the ragg top product. It's great even on my 10 year old top and 100,000 miles. The stuff is amazing and easy to use.

Quickurt 05-29-2011 04:36 PM

I had very good service from the Aerospace 303 kit for canvas tops.
The car is garaged, but I did it 3 years ago and it still repels moisture like it's coated with plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Fabric-Convertible-Top-Kit/dp/B000A8JNF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1306715681&sr= 1-1

SeanZ4 05-29-2011 06:04 PM

had the same problem

I've always used raggtopp on my convertibles but I had a nasty bird pood stain a few years ago that I couldn't get out. Finally tried a product called "poop-off" for all avian related stains. I got it at Petsmart or Petco or one of those big box pet stores. It worked! Just a thought...

sean

Quickurt 05-30-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanZ4
I've always used raggtopp on my convertibles but I had a nasty bird pood stain a few years ago that I couldn't get out. Finally tried a product called "poop-off" for all avian related stains. I got it at Petsmart or Petco or one of those big box pet stores. It worked! Just a thought...

sean

Great info!
They also have a pet stain remover for carpets (Folex) that worked really well when our pooch (80 lb.) was on steroids and antibiotics.

Harold_Callahan 05-31-2011 06:33 AM

+2 on RaggTopp, and I also use the RaggTopp Natural Horse Hair Convertible Top Brush from Autogeek to clean the top before treatment.

-Callahan-

sd_boxster 05-31-2011 12:18 PM

When it comes time to retreat the canvas, I hose my top down and use a wet, soapy lint-free microfiber cloth to wash away any spots. Then I let it dry thoroughly (a day or two), obsessively mask off a ridiculous amount of my car with kraft paper and painter's tape, and use the Porsche top treatment to re-waterproof it. My 8-year-old top still looks like new.