Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #1

listening to the hail...

hit the car outside the hotel room. very unfun sound!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:29 PM   #2

Garage
NO!! Say it aint so!!
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #3

yup. in dallas at 35/mockingbird. hopefully it stays just a little north
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
kpm

Sacrifice the hotel sheets and blanket...take the extra ones in the closet too !!
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #5

it was too late. it was very fast moving. ended up with 3 dents - one rather large one on the rear driver's quarter panel and two on the hood. paint looks okay so hopefully they can be pulled.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Sorry your car was caught unprotected.

Hopefully a good PDR technician can remove those in no time.

I drove my car on vacation a few years ago and parked in a crowded parking lot. I had a bad feeling from the start. When I returned home and washed the car, I had a nice ding near the engine air intake.

I found a guy with a great reputation, removed the air intake grill myself, and he had it fixed to perfection in no time.

Best of luck,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #7

Garage
Sorry to see the damage... Ouch.

I have been told there is a cold process that takes dents out with good results. Has anyone else heard of this or have any experience with it? I think it has to be done within a short period of time after the dent was created?

Jager
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #8

Talking dent repair

When I bought my Boxster it had several small dings. I had a local guy work his magic with paintless dent repair. Admittedly they were small imperfections but he did a great job in eliminating several small imperfections for $50.00.
Volvo 245T
91 Acura Legend Coupe
65 Triumph Spitfire
66 MGB
Many other very boring cars....
Forkliftboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #9

i think my car is rebelling against me - maybe it hates how bad the roads around here are...

on this trip, the ignition key has started to get "stuck" and is getting harder to take out each time. i now have to rock it a little to get it to come out. earlier the top did not want to go down.

and then i went to the ATM. after i had my cash and card back i put it in the cubby where i keep my wallet. instead of putting everything in the wallet i just laid stuffed it in the cubby hole so the car behind me would not have to wait. when i get to the convenience store, i pull out my wallet, cash and check card. the cash starts to slip so i grab it and when i did the card hit the top of the cubby, i grabbed for it and the card did a perfect backflip and slid right into the slot between the cubby and the radio console...

Old 05-26-2011, 04:42 AM   #10

Garage
A good PDR guy will easily be able to remove those dents. My car had a few similar dents when I bought it and even though I knew exactly where they were, I could not see any defects in those areas when he was done. The guy works on mostly higher end cars and advertises with the local chapter of the Porsche club. Maybe $300 or so and you'll be back to normal.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #11

A hail storm went through Dayton, OH last night and I was in the middle of the worst part. Luckily my car was at home and in the garage. My truck took a beating though. Here's a pic of what was hitting my truck and the house I was at.

And here's a video I took as it was coming down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydn4MHzuHI

On Monday a storm came through and I stood and watched it from my front room which has a lot of windows. Yesterday they confirmed that an F1 tornado came through and it missed my house by about 200 yards. No idea how I didn't see it. Must have been looking the wrong way.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:51 AM   #12

Garage
I had an identical dent..

to the one on your drivers' side rear quarter. Guessing where I'm from it was probably hail. My pdr guy took it and a couple of others out for $100. He mostly complained about taking the vent assmbly. out to get to it. I was sanding the bottom of a boat the other night in a metal building and the hail was so loud I couldn't hear myself think! This time of year the pdr guys follow the storms around the country. We have a lot of them in this area right now.

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #13

You car doesn't hate you but it definitely hates Dallas. Something goes wrong every trip! I heard a small tornado touched down near Love Field so not all that far from your hotel. Getting three dents sucks but it could have been worse.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 AM   #14
Carnut

Man! Nasty!

PDR is the way to go.

As to the hot/cold DIY thing, search on youtube,videos there. Basically one heats up the dented area and once warm/hot dry ice right on the dent, dent pops out.....
Old 05-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #15

Jake, it was raining golf balls...nasty! The weather has been very bizarre this week in northern Illinois, fluctuating between warm and cold (45 degrees today and very rainy). We have our big PCA DE event at Road America this weekend, and again it looks cold and wet. I've tried the dry ice on the small dents and it does improve the ding quite a bit, but I think a good dent guy can take those out easily.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #16

Dry Ice

Dry ice can pull out the small dents out.

Here is a video showing how!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab5PdrAIKeo

Also the little cubbies just pop out.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #17

Garage
I live in mid-cities, my S got freaking beat down...2500$ in pdr.