986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Good atlanta machine shops? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28994-good-atlanta-machine-shops.html)

insite 05-23-2011 09:10 AM

Good atlanta machine shops?

anybody know of one? i need to get my flywheel / clutch balanced.

Jake Raby 05-23-2011 10:13 AM

We have onsite machining. I have mandrels and jigs especially for the M96.

insite 05-23-2011 10:16 AM

great to know. when i decide to do some head work, i will make the drive. for a flywheel balance, though, that's quite a hike for me! know of anyone a bit closer to the perimeter?

Jake Raby 05-23-2011 10:18 AM

I don't know of anyone else that has the M96 jigs anywhere near here. We have these parts shipped in from all over for balancing.. You are local :-)

(come here and you'll see cars from Oregon, California and Canada)

insite 05-23-2011 10:20 AM

ok, i'll bite:

1) what jig could one possibly need to balance a flywheel?
2) how much $$$
3) if i make the drive, can you do it while i wait? :)

Jake Raby 05-23-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insite
ok, i'll bite:

1) what jig could one possibly need to balance a flywheel?
2) how much $$$
3) if i make the drive, can you do it while i wait? :)

-The jig thats necessary is made to center the flywheel between the sensor columns of our CN balancer.

-125.00 for balance of the unit including index

-No, we'd need it dropped off, we are in engine assembly mode for the next 3 weeks and do balance work only when we have a free moment. Our next scheduled machining and prep week is June 6-11

insite 05-23-2011 11:09 AM

ok; looks like i'm dropping the tranny this weekend. i'll bring up the FW w/ a new friction surface, new pilot bearing & clutch pressure plate. need anything else?

Jake Raby 05-23-2011 11:26 AM

Quote:

ok; looks like i'm dropping the tranny this weekend. i'll bring up the FW w/ a new friction surface, new pilot bearing & clutch pressure plate. need anything else?

New friction surface? Were you planning on having it resurfaced?

insite 05-23-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
New friction surface? Were you planning on having it resurfaced?

the flywheel is an aasco LWFW. the friction surface is a replacable steel insert.

i feel a tiny bit of vibration from 4k to redline that i think is coming from the flywheel. it's very subtle, but i notice it. this is precautionary more than anything. when i put the 3.4L in the car, i did not replace the friction surface on the LWFW even though it CLEARLY needed to be done. excitement overcame judgement.......

Jake Raby 05-24-2011 09:31 AM

Oh! Its an Aasco unit.. For some reason I believed it was stock.

That vibration is also being felt by your knock sensors and you should see what its doing for your timing and power...

insite 05-24-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Oh! Its an Aasco unit.. For some reason I believed it was stock.

That vibration is also being felt by your knock sensors and you should see what its doing for your timing and power...

ah; good point. i hadn't considered that. DME retards timing as if tuning for crappy gas....

Steve Tinker 05-24-2011 07:41 PM

This is typically why I like this site - you learn something fresh every day.

I didn't realise (or even think of) the knock sensor being that sensitive in monitoring clutch vibration - and so retarding the ignition, which drops performance.....

Phew, I wonder what else can fail mechanically, causing enough vibration for the knock sensor to retard the ignition.
Perhaps this is the basis of J.R.'s new IMS failure detector that's due to be unvailed in a couple of months time???? :p

idheaton 05-26-2011 05:10 PM

Hey Insite,

When do you plan on taking your flywheel up? If you don't mind the company, I would like to ride up there with you as I'd like to check out Jake shop, heck I'd even be willing to drive... :-)

I am in Smyrna.

Thanks,

ian

insite 05-26-2011 05:23 PM

Sounds good. I plan on taking it up sometime next week. Not sure which day yet; need to see how my schedule shapes up.

idheaton 05-26-2011 05:28 PM

Cool, I'm off all next week so anytime is good for me. I'll PM you my info to make things easier.

Thanks,

ian

Jake Raby 05-27-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:

Sounds good. I plan on taking it up sometime next week. Not sure which day yet; need to see how my schedule shapes up.

We will be closed the week of May 30- June 3rd to update our facilities and prepare for an event.

The week of the 6th would be fine, just make sure you call us the day before to see what our schedule is like, else I may have something going on in the lab that would keep me from meeting you..

Jake Raby 06-10-2011 07:46 AM

Insite,
The flywheel is done.. Come pick it up!
The assembly was more than 13 grams out of balance, flywheel alone was over 7 grams out of balance on the initial spin.

Call before you come, (706.219.4874) I'll be here until 1800 this evening.

insite 06-14-2011 07:02 AM

jake -

thanks for turning it around so quick. it's all back in the car, but i'm still working some weight redux & cooling mods. should be up & running this weekend.

apparently, jake & crew had a crazy day friday! when i got there, a truck driver had stolen a customer car. jake flagged down a mini....driven by a priest....and said 'follow that car'! as i hear it, jake was half hanging out the window, yelling & cussing at the getaway car, while the priest was laughing his ass off & driving the mini. they & some other Flat6 personnel (well armed) chased the guy until 4 cops caught up & took the guy into custody. everyone finally showed back up at flat-6......with the cops! they apparently wanted a tour......

youtube video yet? :-)

Jake Raby 06-14-2011 01:04 PM

That was a crazy day... I still have to edit the video.. INSANE!
We did get the car back though.

jmatta 06-14-2011 02:45 PM

At least the guy was smart enough to steal a Raby Boxster and not some run-of-the-mill Box that would blow up on his getaway!