Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #1

Hello all

I am a former owner of a 97 986 and recently bought a 2002 c2 with 65k miles. I am in need of help and you guys were great at answering my questions on here when I owned my 986. So if you could please let help me out. The followin is what i am experiencing with my 996 c2 now.

So , I will start by telling the long story in the short version. I bought a 2002 c2 with 65k miles on it. I had to do main. on the car . For example ignition switch,keys,etc. Well now have a like "loose change" sound or something loose its coming from the front of my driver's side wheel area. So I had my mechanic put it on the lift and check it out. I should mention that I sprayed wd40 on the shock/spring and lower control arm thinking it was a bushing issue that might have gone away with it being lubed up. That really didn't work.. Well my mechanic said to me that he thinks the shock is blown cause there is fluid all over and also that the control arm is shot. I was too embarrassed to tell him I sprayed wd 40 on the shock area. The part OEM for the control arm is 330 and labor is 90 for one hr to replace the control arm. I am not sure the shock is blown but here is what makes me wonder though if it indeed is. When I exit the car it makes a creaking noise as if I was 400 lbs (I am 190 lbs) and that by me removing myself from the seat it relieved the stress of my weight on the shock/springs. Could this sound be from the lower control arm? Also when I push down on the fender of my car on the same side where the noise comes from its makes the same noise as me exiting. Should I just invest in coil overs and replace the entire shocks n struts for like 1200 or should I replace everything with bilstein for 900 including labor? I also can do just the front two shocks ....I thought shocks were lifetime warranty.
ok, but here is the problem.. at 65k miles you think the odds are good that the shock is not blown? I mean when I push down on the fender it still absorbs the push down so I highly doubt the shock is blown . Can I tighten the upper strut mount.. Its held in by like 3-4 bolts. Any shot of sending me a picture of where the sway bar mounts are... Maybe I can do a DIY before I have him put in the control arm in. Do sounds usually come from a bad control arm? He is saying the ball joint of the control arm is shot.
pushed down the right side which is not where the sound was coming from but now for some reason it is making noise on that side as well. could it really be shocks on both sides?
Also this noise while driving does not occur until maybe 30 mins into driving. When the car is stationary and cold the turning of the steer wheel does not make a rubber squeaking noise but as soon as the car has been driven for 30 mins or more is when the sounds start coming. The constant is that when you push down on the car's front fenders the creaking noise is still there no matter if cold/hot... I am so confused. I want to say its not the shocks but I don't know what to think. My mechanic said the one noise is def. the control arm but I am not too sure its the same noise I hear when I am getting in and out of the car.

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

See my reply to your PM.

Cheers!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote