986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Shifting without clutch (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28870-shifting-without-clutch.html)

Mark_T 05-13-2011 06:48 AM

Shifting without clutch

Any harm in doing this? It seems to rev match and shift smoothly enough, and it doesn't make bad noises.

Sometimes my left knee gives me trouble and half an hour through stop and go traffic can get painful.

blue2000s 05-13-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Any harm in doing this? It seems to rev match and shift smoothly enough, and it doesn't make bad noises.

Sometimes my left knee gives me trouble and half an hour through stop and go traffic can get painful.

Wears out the teeth in the dog ring eventually and could bend the fork. So in time it will no longer stay in gear. Of course, if you're really good at it, you may never have a problem.

coreseller 05-13-2011 06:45 PM

While intriguing and occassionally fun, it is not recommended (by your synchros, shifting forks or gears). JMO...... :cheers:

Mark_T 05-13-2011 08:14 PM

Thanks - exactly the info I was looking for.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 05-13-2011 09:56 PM

With over 2 million mile driving 18 wheelers and having shifting without using the clutch as smooth as an automatic, I too can shift the Porsche quit well without using the clutch. HOWEVER, I choose to use the clutch to keep everything pristeen for as long as possible. Yes I often do slip into nuetral without the clutch when close to coming to a stop.

Beelzy 05-14-2011 06:15 AM

If you can shift gears in a P-car without using the clutch, all I can say is..... :cheers:

Paul 05-14-2011 01:47 PM

Best to start looking for another tranny if you're going to continue doing this.

Topless 05-14-2011 07:39 PM

Mmmm, the synchros are pretty delicate in these cars. Get it wrong just a few times and the damage is done. Time for a fresh tranny. It could get expensive.

Overdrive 05-15-2011 09:48 PM

No expert on this matter, but just thinking logically, since you didn't say anything to the effect of "I grind the gears a lot" or "I'm just learning how to do this", I have to figure you know what you're doing, otherwise you wouldn't be even attempting it. If you're doing it without problems, I'd imagine you'll bring some more wear and tear upon the tranny (to a point) than using the clutch, but not nearly as much as if you were grinding things or using a clutch poorly. It also sounds like it's not something you do constantly, so I don't think you'll have a problem until much later in the life of the car, if at all.

Paul 05-16-2011 07:03 AM

I've been answering this question for 40 years the same way: Don't do it.

Those who did damaged their trannies in short order.

Perfectlap 05-16-2011 07:38 AM

just out of curiositiy how much would a new trans in these car run generaly speaking? I have some bad habits (keep foot on clutch too long) but not using the clutch at all will never be one. That just sound like looking for trouble.

Mark_T 05-16-2011 09:29 AM

Just to be clear, it is not something I have been doing as a habit. I tried it to establish if it could be done (half a dozen shifts in each direction) and found it shifted very smoothly with no grinding, clunking or other signs of distress, which is why I asked the question - to see if there was long-term ill effects, which apparently there are. Asked and answered.

I had a Datsun 510 back in the 70's - shifted it clutchless forever with no ill effects. Same with my Kawasaki 440 motorcycle in the 80's, but I'm sure they were vastly different in their design and more tolerant of the practise.

Blue2000s - thanks again for your informative and factual response, and thanks to the rest of you for taking the time to provide your opinions. I'm always blown away by what a fantastic resource this forum is.

Mark