Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

tiptronic gear selector jammed/dead

sorry, don't know if this is the right section to post on or the other:

Hi,
Firstly I would like to take the opportunity to say hi to everyone here and looks a great forum to be on.

I have a problem and wondering if anyone can shed light on the matter.?
I have owned a 986 boxster s 2002 model for 4 months and loved every minute of it, 43000 miles.
Until now

I left my work tonight and car was facing down a hill, I started the car up, pressed brake and pulled into "D", the selector made an unusual "thud noise as if it was sticky" but then drove off as normal.

I got home and pulled into driveway, selected reverse to straighten up and car moved forward, almost into the garage door .

It would not select reverse and selector seems as if it's not clicking into position, I put it into park and turned off, then tried starting the car and it's now dead, there is no lights lit up on the dash led's to tell me it's in "P"

Has anyone had this problem or know whats happened? car is imobilised
Thanks in advance
stephen

stephen308gt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

Sounds like the selector switch on the tranny. Gear lever connects to it via cable and switch is electric. Possible it's just stretched and out of alignment, but my guess is that it's the switch itself.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 AM   #3

I agree on the connection point at the tranny....disconnect it and use some electric contact cleaner and then reconnect. Also, did you check the fuse.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote