986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   GT3 bumper problems... I'm Frustrated!!! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28789-gt3-bumper-problems-im-frustrated.html)

Johnny Danger 07-11-2013 12:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You might like this kit. It's produced by the German tuner Rieger, and it's all made from polyurethane. The price(s) are reasonable also.

Crono0001 07-11-2013 12:58 PM

Won't lie, this looks amazing
http://www.techart.de/uploads/pics/highlight2_01.jpg

Perfectlap 07-11-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 351487)
You might like this kit. It's produced by the German tuner Rieger, and it's all made from polyurethane. The price(s) are reasonable also.

I like the 987 mirrors. But is that a black strip on the skirting or an actual opening?

Ckrikos 07-11-2013 06:02 PM

The body shop that installed my oem gt3 bumper was also afraid of any aftermarket or even repairs on my oem bumper. I got a great deal $600 on my bumper because there was an area at the bottom that had been repaired at one point, but you can't even tell. Whoever repaired it soldered it with plastic and it looks good as new and appears to be as strong as new. Anyway the shop kept asking me can you return it. I said it took me a year to find it and would cost me nearly $2,000 new. They ended up painting it and it came out just fine. I told the guy your workers need to get a little creative. These guys just want new parts to paint and install, but can't seem to repair. Then on top of that they look for top dollar.

Here is a picture I like to show her off since I keep her locked up at home

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/12/avazubaz.jpg

Johnny Danger 07-11-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 351498)
I like the 987 mirrors. But is that a black strip on the skirting or an actual opening?

I believe that it's some kind of an insert, because there's a carbon fiber option as well.

Johnny Danger 07-11-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ckrikos (Post 351515)
The body shop that installed my oem gt3 bumper was also afraid of any aftermarket or even repairs on my oem bumper. I got a great deal $600 on my bumper because there was an area at the bottom that had been repaired at one point, but you can't even tell. Whoever repaired it soldered it with plastic and it looks good as new and appears to be as strong as new. Anyway the shop kept asking me can you return it. I said it took me a year to find it and would cost me nearly $2,000 new. They ended up painting it and it came out just fine. I told the guy your workers need to get a little creative. These guys just want new parts to paint and install, but can't seem to repair. Then on top of that they look for top dollar.

Here is a picture I like to show her off since I keep her locked up at home

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/12/avazubaz.jpg

If I lived New Jersey I'd keep my boxster locked up too. :)

yellowboxsters 07-11-2013 06:32 PM

Thanks for your input guys. To answer your questions, the nrauto kit or gt3 for that matter isn't what I would call 'what I truly want' as it seems a bit too sharp for the 986 boxster era of of design and in my opinion seems a little mismatched. It that's just my style a being fussy. But then again I don't want to be spending thousands just for a kit and then more plus lots of frustration and anxiety with dealing with poor fitment, a lazy or unskilled/hesitant workshop who only wants to do straight forward no brained fitment and still be able to somehow stuff things up.
Starting to think that unless I can find the kit I desire that is guaranteed to fit like oem then I might as well leave the car the way it is and spend the funds elsewhere on performance and convenience mods like the smart top relay mod :0)

yellowboxsters 07-11-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 351487)

Awesome find danger, that's pretty much what I'm looking for and it's polyurethane??? Sweet. Being lazy here but any chance you know where you saw the prices from?

Cheers mate. Getting a tickle of excitement now.

I did find a gemballa kit but still is fibreglass and even though its been discounted, it's still gonna cost me a bit once landed due to hefty import duties and then trying to find an experienced and adventurous body shop here In Melb Australia.

Johnny Danger 07-11-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowboxsters (Post 351525)
Awesome find danger, that's pretty much what I'm looking for and it's polyurethane??? Sweet. Being lazy here but any chance you know where you saw the prices from?

Cheers mate. Getting a tickle of excitement now.

I did find a gemballa kit but still is fibreglass and even though its been discounted, it's still gonna cost me a bit once landed due to hefty import duties and then trying to find an experienced and adventurous body shop here In Melb Australia.

Try these links:

reiger-tuning.de

Cult Werk Selector - CULT WERK PORSCHE

This link will give you an idea on pricing in $US:

Rieger Body Kit | Porsche Boxster 986 | Performance & Styling

yellowboxsters 07-11-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 351530)

Thanks Danger, was just about to post that I've found prices on lltek.com but u beat me to it. Thanks for your help mate. How different is polyurethane to abs? Was never good with the subject of materials during school days.

Prices seem very reasonable. Will see if there's any reviews. If all, good then I'll most likely pull the trigger on it :D

Johnny Danger 07-11-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowboxsters (Post 351534)
Thanks Danger, was just about to post that I've found prices on lltek.com but u beat me to it. Thanks for your help mate. How different is polyurethane to abs? Was never good with the subject of materials during school days.

Prices seem very reasonable. Will see if there's any reviews. If all, good then I'll most likely pull the trigger on it :D

Acrylonitrile Butadiene (ABS) plastic is a common thermoplastic used to make rigid, light, molded products. The most important properties of ABS are the toughness of the material and the resistance to wear. It combines the rigidity and strength of the Acrylonitrile and Styrene Polymers along with the toughness of the Polybutadiene Rubber.

It has similar properties to polyurethane, and PURIM as well.

Johnny Danger 07-11-2013 07:19 PM

Also, I would recommend contacting Cult-Werk for pricing. For whatever reason, they seem to under sell Rieger even though it's Rieger's product.

yellowboxsters 07-11-2013 07:34 PM

Wow thanks Danger. Or shall I call you Dr Danger from now on? So knowledgeable and resourceful. ;)

Was excited even more when the rear spoiler is like the gemballa one but excitement was short lived cause Reiner has discontinued that :(
Looks like ill have to source that from gemballa themselves.

Johnny Danger 07-11-2013 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowboxsters (Post 351540)
Wow thanks Danger. Or shall I call you Dr Danger from now on? So knowledgeable and resourceful. ;)

Was excited even more when the rear spoiler is like the gemballa one but excitement was short lived cause Reiner has discontinued that :(
Looks like ill have to source that from gemballa themselves.

If you're referring to Gemballa's front bumper, keep in mind that all they did was modify an oem bumper by removing the surround from the center channel, along with replacing the vents in the side intakes with mesh, and molded a set of subtle FRP splitters on the underside of the corners.

yellowboxsters 07-11-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 351544)
If you're referring to Gemballa's front bumper, keep in mind that all they did was modify an oem bumper by removing the surround from the center channel, along with replacing the vents in the side intakes with mesh, and molded a set of subtle FRP splitters on the underside of the corners.

Thanks danger no wonder the front bumper looked a bit different but that aside, i was actually referring to the gemballa rear replacement pop up spoiler :D

yellowboxsters 07-11-2013 09:43 PM

Here's a YouTube vid I found for the reiger kit:

Rieger Tuning Porsche - YouTube

I'm sold. Now just a matter of emailing them for shipping quotes. Fingers crossed this is the right decision.

yellowboxsters 07-12-2013 01:29 AM

Man this is starting to get on my nerves, just when I thought I found a company that sells quality products at a real good price, and is also offering a discount if you purchase an entire bodykit from them was a done deal,they turn around and redirect me to one of their Australian dealers to get raped with the price with most probably a 50-150% mark-up :mad: Hate it when they do that. I guess I'll have to get a quote from them and from the U.S dealers to see where the value is :(
This crap just gives the Australian dealers more of a reason to mark up their prices as much as they like. Yet Australian businesses whinge and complain about why people are buying overseas and not locally. Geez it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out :mad:

Anyways, RANT over.........just hoping however much I pay for the body kit, it turns out as being worth the hassle *sigh*

edc 07-12-2013 01:46 AM

My front bumper looks very similar to the Gemballa one above. I have black mesh and a full length extension which like the Gemballa one but is chunkier at the corners.

Johnny Danger 07-12-2013 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowboxsters (Post 351572)
Man this is starting to get on my nerves, just when I thought I found a company that sells quality products at a real good price, and is also offering a discount if you purchase an entire bodykit from them was a done deal,they turn around and redirect me to one of their Australian dealers to get raped with the price with most probably a 50-150% mark-up :mad: Hate it when they do that. I guess I'll have to get a quote from them and from the U.S dealers to see where the value is :(
This crap just gives the Australian dealers more of a reason to mark up their prices as much as they like. Yet Australian businesses whinge and complain about why people are buying overseas and not locally. Geez it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out :mad:

Anyways, RANT over.........just hoping however much I pay for the body kit, it turns out as being worth the hassle *sigh*

Who are you dealing with ? Cult Werk or Rieger direct ?

Johnny Danger 07-12-2013 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edc (Post 351573)
My front bumper looks very similar to the Gemballa one above. I have black mesh and a full length extension which like the Gemballa one but is chunkier at the corners.

Gemballa adds splitters to the oem bumper.