Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

First problem- Hot start

Hello folks. This is one of my firs posts after lurking on the forum since buying my 2001 boxster s last October

Reading the past posts has been verY helpful, thank you. I am running into my first problem with this wonderful car.

It starts reliably every morning and after sitting out during a day at work. However it will turn but not fire (frequently not always) after a stop at the store for ten or twenty minutes. The frequency of hot start problems are increasing. Again, the car will turn just not fire up. So either no spark or fuel.

Yesterday it died twice at two different traffic lights and would not start. It had to be towed home. Until yesterday it never died after starting so I am thinking more along the fuel side. The car runs fine under load and to 5-6k rpms.

I let the gas tank go ver low, 25 miles to empt on Obc right before experiencing my first hot start issue. I am not sure if it is related or coincidence

My diagnosis or thoughts are that the fuel pump met its maker prematurely (it has 61k) because of the low fuel mistake. Now the pump is getting hotter than normal and won't start until cooling off. It got worse and now having trouble keeping up the pressure at idle.

Let me know if this makes sense. I Would like learn about testing the pump before shelling out $260 for a new one and getting into the tank replace.

Thank you

Last edited by dakar; 05-21-2011 at 11:09 AM.
dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

I had the same problem. Replaced the fuel filter and no more issue. When was the filter replaced?
Old 05-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #3

thank you for the suggestion, I do not know when it was replaced but I have a replacement one as a part of my tune up kit.
dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #4

I had a similar issue with mine. It was a problem in the fuel system. I had the charcoal canister (part # 996-201-221-07) and the shut off valve (996-605-201-01) replaced.

My problem was showing up after I refueled the car when it was hot. The Check Engine Light was illuminating, but I forget the code.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #5

Might want to check your mass air flow sensor. Mine had the same hot start issue and after replacing the maf it all cleared up.

porscherescuer is offline   Reply With Quote