986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New Porsche Owner - some questions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28776-new-porsche-owner-some-questions.html)

rdougan 05-04-2011 09:49 PM

New Porsche Owner - some questions

I recently bought a used 2001 Porsche Boxster S, 91k miles in California (where I live).

It was fairly cheap, but as a result of that, I am having some issues.

I have searched the forums and found some information, but nothing directly relating to these issues:
  • The central locking does not work. Pressing the lock butting on the key fob does nothing; if i press it twice/three times, the horn beeps twice, but nothing happens. Pressing the lock button inside the car does nothing. Locking the drivers side door locks the door, but not both doors. I am going to remove the drivers seat tomorrow and check the fuse in the alarm box. There does not seem to be any dampness around there, however.
  • Neither electric windows work. The buttons seem to be a little sticky so im unsure if it is the buttons or the windows themselves. When I open/close the doors, the windows do lower/raise a little as they should.
  • The clutch is slipping in high gears. Lame. In my old Nissan 240sx this was an expensive fix. I'm sure for the Porsche it'll be worse.. Estimates? I presume I need to fix the IMS issue at the same time..
  • I have no lock code for the radio. Dealer only fix?
  • The roof opening/closing is intermittent. It would not work earlier, and bashing the panel a little and then trying again fixed it. However it still randomly stops working sometimes. Parking light is on.
  • The passenger seat electric reclining adjuster button works going back, but not forward. It doesn't seem to push forward at all. :/
  • The two alarm sensors where the convertible "Push" lever is have no covers; is this correct?

Long list... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

schoir 05-04-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdougan
.....[*]I have no lock code for the radio. Dealer only fix?
[*]The two alarm sensors where the convertible "Push" lever is have no covers; is this correct?
Robert

Robert:

Go to renntech.org and post your radio model (which I'm guessing is a Becker CDR-210), type and serial number at this thread: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php/topic/14539-lost-radio-code-post-your-request-here/page__pid__72324#entry72324 and Loren will supply the code.

For the alarm sensor cover question...There are supposed to be black translucent "eyes" that are small covers which snap in place.

Regards, Maurice.

waynes986 05-04-2011 11:27 PM

If you don't mind telling... How much for the car? You may need a new remote which will run about $300 with programming...

rdougan 05-04-2011 11:55 PM

@schoir

Thanks, I will post in the morning when I get the code.

@waynes986

$11k

Frodo 05-05-2011 03:25 AM

I won't be much help, sorry, but a couple of points:

One, if you remove the seat(s), keep in mind that if/when you disconnect the electrical harness under them your airbag check engine light will come on. Unless you have the (pricey) Durametric diagnostic tool, you'll have to go to a dealership or shop that does to reset it. (I did that, and the local dealership charged me $95 to "check airbags" and reset the CEL.) Apparently you can avoid this problem by disconnecting the battery before disconnecting the harness.

Two, yes, the clutch job will be pricier than one on pretty much ANY Japanese vehicle. AND yes, you should probably do the IMS since they'll be right there anyway. There's lots of IMS info on this forum...just Search.

waynes986 05-05-2011 07:52 AM

Did you get a pre purchase inspection on the car? Sometimes the good deals cost more in the end because the cost to fix something on the Porsche is so much more expensive than on a regular make not German. The clutch and ims will probably run you close go $2500...

rdougan 05-05-2011 08:13 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I'll keep in mind to disconnect the battery when removing the seat.

And @waynes986, nope, I did not. But Unfortunately I can't go back on it now.. so fixing it up is the only way to go.

manolo 05-05-2011 08:18 AM

A cheap fix that may help some of your electrical problems is a new ignition switch. I had similar electrical gremlins that turned out to be the switch. When it goes, it causes all types of weird things in the electrical system (my low beams didnt work but highs did, windows didnt work, locks, top etc.) I bought an $11 switch and it fixed it all. Another telltale sign is that the key becomes difficult to go in/out of the ignition switch.
I'm in the East Bay and might be able to help you with the switch or loan you the tool I made, depending on my work load.

rdougan 05-05-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manolo
A cheap fix that may help some of your electrical problems is a new ignition switch. I had similar electrical gremlins that turned out to be the switch. When it goes, it causes all types of weird things in the electrical system (my low beams didnt work but highs did, windows didnt work, locks, top etc.) I bought an $11 switch and it fixed it all. Another telltale sign is that the key becomes difficult to go in/out of the ignition switch.
I'm in the East Bay and might be able to help you with the switch or loan you the tool I made, depending on my work load.

Cool, thanks.

Does it *need* to be difficult to insert and remove the key for this to cause a problem?

stateofidleness 05-05-2011 07:31 PM

not necessarily. a good indicator is when you pull the key out, do you hear the "clunk" sound of the tumbler (correct word?) resetting?

the switch is cheap and easy enough to replace to mark it off the list. it causes all kinds of weird things to happen (mine was making my headlights act funny). usually the key would go in just fine, but pulling it out would "not feel right" and the clunk sound was missing. If you turn the car off and you're able to turn the key counter-clockwise and feel it "spring back", it might indicate a broken switch.

rdougan 05-05-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stateofidleness
not necessarily. a good indicator is when you pull the key out, do you hear the "clunk" sound of the tumbler (correct word?) resetting?

the switch is cheap and easy enough to replace to mark it off the list. it causes all kinds of weird things to happen (mine was making my headlights act funny). usually the key would go in just fine, but pulling it out would "not feel right" and the clunk sound was missing. If you turn the car off and you're able to turn the key counter-clockwise and feel it "spring back", it might indicate a broken switch.

Mine seems to make that clunking sound when removing the key, and it doesn't seem to overturn or spring into place. Should I replace anyway?

I removed the seat today and checked the fuse on the alarm box, but it was fine..

rdougan 05-06-2011 11:56 AM

What is an estimate on how much I should pay to replace the clutch, flywheel and fix the IMS? Should any place that work on Porsche's know about the IMS issue?

waynes986 05-06-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

What is an estimate on how much I should pay to replace the clutch, flywheel and fix the IMS? Should any place that work on Porsche's know about the IMS issue?

The shops around the bay area will charge about $2500 parts and labor.. Where in the bay area are you? Hit me up and if you'd like to try swapping power window switches out to see if it's just the switches then we could easily do that and eliminate some of the questions. I could also scan your car with a durametric cable I have.

rdougan 05-06-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynes986
The shops around the bay area will charge about $2500 parts and labor.. Where in the bay area are you? Hit me up and if you'd like to try swapping power window switches out to see if it's just the switches then we could easily do that and eliminate some of the questions. I could also scan your car with a durametric cable I have.

That'd be great, thank you.

I am in Redwood City.

rdougan 05-06-2011 02:56 PM

I called a local place (http://germanautokraft.com/) and they quoted $1750 to replace the clutch, and $1100 on top of that for the fly wheel. the girl on the phone didn't know what IMS failure was about, so she is going to find out and get back in touch with me..

laphan 05-06-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Just did mine a couple months ago.
Labor is 10 hours ($780)
clutch kit $680
RMS $20
IMS $519
trans input seal $12

I did not need to replace my flywheel but the quote for flywheel is $1050.

nieuwhzn 05-06-2011 09:13 PM

"and $1100 on top of that for the fly wheel"

If it's not too bad, I think you can also have the flywheel resurfaced.

waynes986 05-06-2011 11:31 PM

Try giving flintworks a buzz in Campbell. I know he has done a few of the ims upgrades...

rdougan 05-07-2011 06:36 PM

Will give them a call on Monday, thanks.

rdougan 05-09-2011 11:08 AM

Flintworks quoted $1850 for just the clutch and around $2500 for the clutch and IMS. Still waiting for German Auto Kraft to get back to me about the IMs..