986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Low profile amplified subwoofer.. thoughts (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28761-low-profile-amplified-subwoofer-thoughts.html)

Jake D 05-03-2011 04:51 PM

Low profile amplified subwoofer.. thoughts

Most of you know I have been recently talking about money issues and whether I should keep my box and all so this would be the last thing I would need to spend $ on and I honestly don't have the intentions on doing so, but I came across this in a recent ad the motorcycle shop I hang out at received. I might be able to get it even cheaper through the shop but still probably wont buy one.

I'm sure it's probably not the best quality but for the price someone on here might want to try it. Seems like if it could easily be installed and wired up it might be a cheap addition to get some extra bass

Its a low profile amplified subwoofer. But just out of curiosity, could this be wired up to a factory CDR-220 that has the amp in the frunk?

8":http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-362
10:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-360

Jake

johnsimion 05-04-2011 05:11 AM

Dunno anything about wiring the sub in, but I think you will have some difficulty coming up with a good location for it. I found a Blaupunkt powered sub that was even less tall, but I returned it because I couldn't get it to fit under the seat unless I was willing to keep the seat permanently raised up. Also, if there is not enough clearance under the seat, the seat would muffle the sound. It might go behind your seat but it's not a good fit and will require that the seat be kept permanently forward. Also pretty ugly there. Of course, if these things don't bother you, it might work.

There is a guy who sells sub enclosures on eBay for $369 that fit on the front passenger floorboards (search "Porsche sub enclosure" or "Porsche sub box"). The fit looks pretty good in the pictures and it puts the sub out of the way and unnoticeable. Should also look pretty good for you since you have black carpet, right?

Jake D 05-04-2011 05:48 AM

Well I'm like 5'6 so I have the seat up about as high as it can go and I also have some room behind my seat. I do have black carpet. I don't plan on buying one of these before others commented in on whether they think it would work, and more importantly, till I get caught back up and I get some maintenance stuff taken care of.

xamfed 05-04-2011 07:17 AM

It is powered, so yes it can. You need to get high-level inputs to get the audio signal from.

Thanks for finding this, I may be getting this for my 987

jhandy 05-04-2011 07:35 AM

Just a quick thought....on cars like mine without a glove box, could the Sub be mounted magnet up, facing down where the glove box would have gone? Or is there stuff in there that can not be moved?

Jake D 05-04-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xamfed
It is powered, so yes it can. You need to get high-level inputs to get the audio signal from.

Thanks for finding this, I may be getting this for my 987

I don't know enough about audio to know what exactly that means or how to get it. I've wired up radios before and helped install some subs with some friends but I don't know what all that would require. Getting it power and ground isn't an issue.

Jhandy- I dont think it would be an issue other than it might vibrate your dash some and I'm not sure how that would be right under an airbag? Might not be an issue though. Might need the help of others to chime in.

That place that sells those amps and other audio equipment is only like a 25 min drive from my house. I'd be half tempted to drive down there to check this stuff out a little more and see what they say.

xamfed 05-09-2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake D
I don't know enough about audio to know what exactly that means or how to get it. I've wired up radios before and helped install some subs with some friends but I don't know what all that would require. Getting it power and ground isn't an issue.

Jhandy- I dont think it would be an issue other than it might vibrate your dash some and I'm not sure how that would be right under an airbag? Might not be an issue though. Might need the help of others to chime in.

That place that sells those amps and other audio equipment is only like a 25 min drive from my house. I'd be half tempted to drive down there to check this stuff out a little more and see what they say.

High level inputs are devices the you wire in behind the stereo. It basically grabs the signal from the speaker wires and converts it to RCA outputs. you connect the RCA cables to that and then to the amp in the sub.

They make specific ones for factory stereos with amps. I am sure parts express sells them. Or you can get them anywhere that sells stereos. They are also called line output converters. http://www.crutchfield.com/g_721/Line-Output-Converters.html?tp=2001

If you do go down to parts express, pleas post your reviews on here. I am curious how it would sound. I trying to figure out my sub location in my 987 right now.

Jake D 05-22-2011 05:31 PM

Update: So I was bored yesterday morning so I drove down to parts express and I bought the 8" sub and stuff to hook it up (mainly because they said I can return within 30 days)... I thought it would lay flat behind my seat, but I wasn't able to slide my seat back far enough so that won't work. I don't really think it looked good behind my seat either because of the contour of the back firewall, the sub box didn't sit completely flush. So, I haven't found anywhere to really put it.

I went ahead and rigged it up temporarily to see how it sounds. It honestly sounds ok. I guess what you'd expect out of a $100 sub. I wasn't blown away or that impressed by it though. As my buddy commented "It makes the whole system sound "more" complete, but not too much more than what a good factory system should come with." My door "subs" sound like complete **************** so it does help make up for them but I'm still undecided if I want to keep it or not.

If and only if I find a decent more hidden spot for it, I may keep it, otherwise it will be going back. I just think it looked too rigged behind my seat for me to keep it there and I'm running out of ideas. If I come up with something creative I will let you all know.

In summary, if you want a little more bass and don't want to spend much for it, then this is not a bad product. If you're a audio enthusiast (which I'm not really) then you will not like this and should spend you're $ upgrading with higher end stuff.

FYI,I was using the factory headunit and my car has I believe premium sound. I have the factory amp thing in the frunk as well as the speakers under the roll bar deal.

Jake D 05-24-2011 03:49 PM

Update #2: I didn't find any place that looked good to me (but I'm picky) so I returned it.