Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

2 threads in1: new ims repair and 06 v.07

two pieces of information. my porsche mechanic indicates there is a relatively new ims replacement-ceramic bearing,oil lubricated that he thinks should be a permanent fix as opposed to the sealed ims bearing.

secondly. a porsche dealer has a 06 boxster base with 36k miles and an 07 with 49k miles for about the same price($25k).I was thinking the 07 with the new engine design and more power would be preferable even with more miles,given equal past histories.do you agree?

kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #2

1. that's ln engineering's ims retrofit. been out a few years - do a search.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 04-28-2011 at 04:34 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

LOL, read this board much?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriss
two pieces of information. my porsche mechanic indicates there is a relatively new ims replacement-ceramic bearing,oil lubricated that he thinks should be a permanent fix as opposed to the sealed ims bearing.

secondly. a porsche dealer has a 06 boxster base with 36k miles and an 07 with 49k miles for about the same price($25k).I was thinking the 07 with the new engine design and more power would be preferable even with more miles,given equal past histories.do you agree?
Either will be nice, the 5 extra hp probably shouldn't make a difference in your decision. Will you be driving it a lot?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #5

I'm not positive, but I don't think you can put the new LN IMS bearing in the 06 or 07 without taking the engine completely out of the car, and splitting the case to replace the old bearing. Big bucks.
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 AM   #6

Just to be clear on one pertinent point, any M96/97 engine either installed at the factory or by a dealer after 2005 has the “final solution” version of the IMS, which utilizes a rear bearing that is larger in diameter than the opening in the rear of the cases. That means in order to upgrade it to an LN style bearing, the engine must be pulled, the cases spilt, and disassembled to install the upgrade. There is no way to do it with the engine in the car………….