Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2005, 05:32 PM   #1

New Boxster or Used 911?

Before I pull the trigger on a new Boxster, I'd appreciate your input on the pros/cons of getting a pre-owned 911 instead.

I found Brucelee's website and saw two primo 911s in his inventory that turned my head, and so I got to thinking . . . .

First, take the "new car depreciation" component out of the mix. Assume that whatever car I buy, I'll keep it for many years and not be concerned about resale. Or, assume that I'll pay $10-15,000 less for the used 911 than I would for the new Boxster (or whatever the right amount would be to true up the depreciation difference in driving a new car off the lot).

What I'm thinking about is the difference in the relative joys of driving and pride of ownership, and also whether five years of technological improvement makes a new Boxster rival a five-year-old 911.

I'm not looking for any "right answer," as if there were one. But rather your opinions on what would be the deciding factors for you.

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:33 PM   #2

These are good questions. The first thing I would do if I were you is to drive both cars AT LEAST several times. The seat of the pants, real time experience MAY push you strongly one way or another.

I would listen to that little voice. Ignoring it can lead to very costly turnover.

If you want to chat, feel fee to call me.

Thanks for the post!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:53 PM   #3

Smile Imho

I was in the same predicament a few months ago, I test drove and asked others opinion. If you plan to take it to the race track a used 911 coupe is the way to go, but if you prefer open top motoring then boxster it is. When it comes to driving impression the boxster is better, it's more balance. So after much pondering I took delivery of an '05 Boxster. Good Luck.
speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 AM   #4

Brucelee probably has as much comparative experience with late-model 911s and the Boxsters as anybody that posts regularly on this forum, so I would bow to whatever his opinion, thusfar unexpressed, was.
I did own an older ('81 911SC) 911 for a number of years, and in my opinion the "feel" of the two cars is totally different. The 911 had a carved-from-a-block-of-stone feel that is missing in the Box. My 911 also was a heavy-shifting, heavy steering, rough-riding, classic-feeling beast with haphazard ergonomics and neither adequate ventilation nor any air conditioning to speak of. When you drove it you knew you were in a 25-year old high performance SPORTS CAR that made relatively few compromises.
The Boxster on the other hand is a thoroughly modern car with pretty much all the normal bells and whistles. My personal opinion is that if you blindfolded a typical sports car enthusiast and took him for a ride in a Boxster, an S2000, a Mazda RX8, and say an M3 BMW, he wouldn't be able to tell one from the other. At least until you get to the outer edges of the performance envelope, by which time he would probably be screaming for mama anyway. This is not an indictment of the Porsche, it is simply an observation that all of those cars are pretty competent as sports cars.
I suppose the real question however is the difference between a new Boxster vs a relatively new 911, one of the 2000-up 996 models. As Brucelee suggested, drive both types and see which appeals to you. I don't know if the "block-of-stone" feel still exists in the new 996/997s, but that is what I would look for.
Amongst the Porsche crowd there is still a certain amount of sneering at the Boxster, although that is abating as 80's and 90's Carrera owners continue to get their butts hammered by Boxsters at DE events and autocrosses. There is also the realization that the Box, particularly the S, offers outstanding performance, and a functioning air conditioner, too.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:56 AM   #5

Hmmmmmm

I also had a similar predicament, so I spoke with my mechanic who specializes in German vehicles. He said he worked on many 911s but said he rarely sees a Boxster S, other than routine maintenance. That info coupled with my love of convertibles helped me make my decision to buy a Boxter S. I haven't looked back and am quite glad with my choice. But I doubt you would go wrong with either choice!
slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #6

Talking

I am not sure about the issue of Boxster vs 911 on relability. If you take the collective experience of my service shop (7 techs and counting) they would say it is a toss up.

Interestingly, both cars are getting better over the years since introduction. That is a good thing!

Re: which car, really, I DO love driving them both AND they are different cars. I still think the important issue is, which car floats your boat!

Face it, neither car is "practical" in the end, so I think the wow factor would rule.

To figure that out, drive them and then, check your pulse!

Old 06-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #7

(I Currently own a Boxster S)

I would lean towards the 911 "S" or an older Turbo model if its within the price range.

If you were comparing a 987 S and a regular 911, I would get the NEW 987 S.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:53 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
As a couple have said, it's all in the importance of a top-down experience.

The Boxster is a purpose-built convertible. It has the structural rigidity, balance, and design expected of a convertible. The 911 is a purpose-built hardtop sports car. It has all the previously stated attributes associated with a coupe. So I would base my decision on where you want to comprimise your driving experience: straight line acceleration, or top-down experience! If you remove those two factors, the cars are a toss-up.

Oh, don't forget, the new Boxster comes with a warranty. Also, to be fair, I was not in a position financially to buy a late-model 996 when I bought my Boxster; I was comparing it more to a 993, M-Roadster, or M3 convt. So my opinion may be biased.

Bottom line, though is that you can't go wrong!
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #9

well no offense but comparing a 911 to Boxster is like saying:

X5 or an s2000?

they are two totally different cars.

You first have to decide do you want a roadster or a coupe.

each of those two options has its own considerations.

For me, if you want a Porsche and a roadster the only choice is the boxster.

A 911 Cabriolet to me is sacrilege.
That car was intended to have roof on it.

The Boxster was specifically designed to be a drop top.
I don't beleive in these car companies that hack off a roof on a sports car and put it out on the market. Its a compromised product from a sportscar driver's stand point.

The Boxster is such a good sports car that they decided to make a coupe out of it.
Now that's saying something.

On my list of Sportcar coupes is definitely a 911 hopefully a GT3.
A standard 911 is grossly overpriced new. There are far better options for your money.
But used a 996 is an excellent value. with a few mods it can look like a $100,000 car even though you only paid $40,000-$50,000
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #10

Actually, I am a fan of the 911 Cab. It is a "true" Porsche, just as the Boxster is and always has been. Seems it has the Porsche crest on the hood.

Different strokes.......etc.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #11

All Porsches are true Porsches. I say it all the time: Porsche nowadays doesn't make any bad cars. The days of rebranding VW's as Porsches like the 914 are long gone.

But Porsche have to sell cars. And if the maket sees a beautiful car like the 911 and someone comes along with allot of money and says "nice car can I have it in a convertible?" Well if his cash is green like ours you best believe Porsche are going to get Gunther and Hans to come up with a way to make the 911 into a convertible.

A 911 Turbo Carbiolet is one of the finest sportscars on the planet. But its driven from a marketing point of view first, performance second. Otherwise there would be no reason to compromise its ridigidty. All that money and time into a sophisiticated engine and suspension to then set it back structurally?

I dont know I guess its like the saying "form follows function".

Design a 911 that was intended to be a convetible from the begining!
oh wait that called .....A BOXSTER!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #12

I would take the 987 S over a 3.4L 996. I'm not sure if you were looking at 3.6's or the 3.4L's though. One nice thing with the 987 or even later model 986's is you pretty much have a choice whether you want to drive a convertible or basically a coup. The top works so well up I often just put it up if I want a more coup like experience. Or you can even take it a step further and get the auxillary hardtop. With a tin-top you can never have it both ways. Plus the car does 0-60 in 5 flat and handles like it's on rails. How can you go wrong with a 987 S?

On a side note, I finally got a chance to look over a 987 S up close and personnal this past weekend. The only odd thing I saw was the intake side of the engine. I peered through the grill and the thing had a plastic "plate" that looked like it nearly completely obstructed air-flow. No snorkel or hole could be seen. I know it must breath very good but I dont see how with that thing in the way. I checked the other side and it had the exhaust cooling fan just like the 986 so I was kinda puzzled on that one. I asked the dealer from FL who brought the car with him and he was puzzled too when I asked him about it.

Last edited by Adam; 06-13-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #13

I sat in the 987S at the dealer while getting service.

compared to my tasty red interior with GT3 seats, the 987 seemed more Cayenne than racy. Too Acura/Lexus-like for my taste.

But I also got to follow behind a guy who I think had a CarreraS take the 987 for a test drive and boy he was whippin the pants off it. I was merging while he was blasting past. We got to a jug handle turn to go back the other way and me mouth was watering just hearing the engine (much louder than my S)
But those headlights
Old 06-14-2005, 10:44 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to UF987
I was in your situation very recently. I had to make a choice between a new 987 or a used 996. After a few test drives in both I opted for the 987. I made the choince because I live in S. Fl. and love the wind in your hair feeling I get to and from the beach. I also like the mid-engine layout better than the rear engine. The 996 is a great car no doubt and I would love to have a Carrera eventually as a second car, but I am a purist and my first choice was the two seater. Neither car is a bad choice so long as driving it is fun and enjoyable for you. Good luck and have fun.

ps I will be posting some pics of my new 987 soon.