986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Am i an idiot? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28656-am-i-idiot.html)

Tobz 04-26-2011 03:34 AM

Am i an idiot?

Hi All,

I was complaining a few days ago that my clutch seemed sticky, I have since driven the car more and need to find out if im an idiot of if I have a problem.

What I have noticed is that as the RPM's increase, the time for the clutch to disengage after a gear change increases. That is, I rev to 5000RPM, push the clutch in, change gears, release the clutch pedal I notice a slight delay between releasing the clutch pedal and the gear engaging...(like a few milliseconds)

At 7000RPM this is made worse as its a few more milliseconds (1/4 of a second?) so the car is a little jerky during the gear change as I have released the pedal, but the clutch hasnt disengaged as yet (as my foot is reapplying the gas trying to accelerate the next gear when it hasnt fully engaged).

Am i just use to my old car or do I have an issue? If it is an issue, im presuming the first thing to do is to change the clutch fluid?

The car does have a new clutch etc, is it apart of the bedding in process?

I never really reved the car much before the service as I wanted it to be serviced before I had to much fun with it, so I have nothing to compare to. Also i have never owned a car with a hydraulic clutch system before.

Thanks for the help

Toby

tonycarreon 04-26-2011 03:44 AM

so... you keep your foot on the accelerator (pressing it down) while you depress the clutch and change gears?

Tobz 04-26-2011 03:50 AM

No, sorry i might have not been very clear, im use to applying power again as/after i let the clutch out... no flat changing for me

GTA_G20 04-26-2011 06:23 AM

sounds to me like you are riding the clutch instead of blipping the trottle and rev matching and you've worn out your clutch

Topless 04-26-2011 06:36 AM

Could be a lot of things from your description. Worn out flywheel? Bad Clutch master/slave cyl, Contaminated fluid, clutch installed improperly, wrong clutch components. Process of elimination is warranted. Start with the last thing you worked on.

BYprodriver 04-26-2011 08:04 AM

Bleed the clutch fluid 1st

yimmy149 04-26-2011 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Bleed the clutch fluid 1st

This made a big difference in my clutch, I didn't even know it was a problem, but I saw a ton of bubbles when I bled it, and my shifts have been better ever since.

pk2 04-27-2011 06:28 AM

Hydraulics were my first guess to but the hydraulics should be totally independent of the revs. The hydraulic system neither knows or cares what the revs are unless your sliding your clutch so much that the heat is transferring back to the slave and boiling (or close to) the fluid...pretty unlikely it think.

Regards pk

The Radium King 04-27-2011 06:37 AM

interesting stuff. i've noticed something similar in my car. under typical, sporty driving conditions, the clutch engages near the end of the pedal release. when i'm bogged down in traffic in lower rev situations, however, the clutch engages at the start of pedal release. makes me want to only drive fast.

pk2 04-27-2011 09:10 AM

It almost sound like oil on the clutch, a leak from the trans. or motor main seals. Heat is up (under frisky driving) &the impregnated oil loosens up and slides. When it's cool it's more like tar... doesn't slide.

However, a soggy clutch usually stinks like a junkyard and chatters like 'ell.

PK