Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Accident when changing oil..

Hi,

I have a 2K Boster 2.7L, while changing the oil yesterday I got a little accident.
While pouring oil in the funnel a big bug (I mean about 1cm long) hit the read lid and fell into funnel.
I was a bit surprised and didn't stop pouring oil... long story short.. I have a bug somewhere in the engine.

I run the engine for a while after changing oil and it seems to run ok..
What should I do now? is it OK to drive? will it burn in there? Should I change the oil again?

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #2

Don't worry about it. Most of the bug is water. It will cook off. The filter will grab anything that survives. It's non abrasive.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Thanks I wasn't sure if I could drive it or not..

On the bright side, I inspected the oil filter and found nothing.. no particles or metal shavings.. it was squicky clean..

Either my 75K engine is perfect.. or everything is already worn out and there is nothing left to be stuck in the filter

Thanks
Sasha
Old 04-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #4

It shouldn't cause any issues.... Don't let it bug you
Old 04-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #5

Instead of snake oil, you've got a new secret additive...Beetlejuice!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Administrator

Oil Change

Sasha,

"Flavor" is right. The bug will not do any harm to your engine as it's mostly water so nothing for you to worry about at all. I would be more concerned with the IMS if it has not been changed out.
Trinidad at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #7

IMS wasn't upgraded yet.
I had the car for a year now.. and justifying to my better half preventive maintenance that costs 30% of what I paid for the car.. is a hard task

I'm still on original clutch which is after 75K miles still going strong. I'll plan to do IMS next year along with new clutch and flywheel

Thanks
Sasha
Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #8

The bug is deep fried in the Mobil 1 oil. Anyway...

Just changed the oil on my car today. Went and bought Mobil 1 oil (0-40w) and a filter with the total cost of about $85. I thought that i can do it myself but i went to one of the indy shop and they willing to do it for $90 with their Mobil 1 oil and the filter. They let me watch the entire process and cut out the filter (which is clean).

That's a pretty good deal don't you think?
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood
The bug is deep fried in the Mobil 1 oil. Anyway...

Just changed the oil on my car today. Went and bought Mobil 1 oil (0-40w) and a filter with the total cost of about $85. I thought that i can do it myself but i went to one of the indy shop and they willing to do it for $90 with their Mobil 1 oil and the filter. They let me watch the entire process and cut out the filter (which is clean).

That's a pretty good deal don't you think?
Ya that isn't a bad price. I get the 5 qt Syntec and filter deal for $30 and the find 4 more qt at $7 so I'm spending about $60. Of course if I had been thinking i would have just got two deals and had an extra filter
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #10

Yea I got the (double) deal...

10 qts and two K&N filters for $60 at Advanced.

Next weekend - I will finally do the work.

Oh and extra bonus the filter wrench/cap for the Porsche also fits my Craftsman mower. So I will do both.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #11

A true driver is integrated with the vehicle. You know and understand how your vehicle feels, sounds and its vibrations. I like changing my vehicles oil myself. Not just to save money, but getting under and into the vehicle most intimate and personal places helps you understand it better. This way I get much closer to it's soul. It is important to know the vehicle inside and out.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
A true driver is integrated with the vehicle. You know and understand how your vehicle feels, sounds and its vibrations. I like changing my vehicles oil myself. Not just to save money, but getting under and into the vehicle most intimate and personal places helps you understand it better. This way I get much closer to it's soul. It is important to know the vehicle inside and out.
You sound like you should be wearin' a condom when you work on your Box!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:30 PM   #13

Castrol on Sale

Hey Sasha, and any other Seattle area owners.
Castrol Syntec is on sale at O'Reilly's for $4.99 a qt. in this week's flyer. Not all the stores have 5W-40, but most of them have 10W-40. I know you just changed oil, but stock up while it is on sale. Limit is 24 bottles! The weather might warm up and all the bugs will be out. You can drown some more of them. I got enough to last for 4 oil changes. Had to go to two different stores to get that many bottles.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap

Last edited by Spinnaker; 04-29-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #14

Thanks a lot Spinnaker!

I was trying to catch the sale for a year now!
I'll definately stock up for future!

Sasha
Old 04-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Hi,

I have a 2K Boster 2.7L, while changing the oil yesterday I got a little accident.
While pouring oil in the funnel a big bug (I mean about 1cm long) hit the read lid and fell into funnel.
I was a bit surprised and didn't stop pouring oil... long story short.. I have a bug somewhere in the engine.

I run the engine for a while after changing oil and it seems to run ok..
What should I do now? is it OK to drive? will it burn in there? Should I change the oil again?

Thanks
Sasha
Bugs that big have exoskeletons, frogs that eat beetles crap out their exoskeletons so they’re pretty hearty. I have a feeling the only thing it should do is plug the intake screen a little on the oil pick up tube. If it did go though the oil pump you would hope it gets crushed to the point where it doesn’t plug any small oil galleries.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #16

Funny Frodo. I had to laugh. No condoms here, I ride free. Seriously, I think a true driver/opperator is an integral part of the machine. Afterall it is the brain and body in control. You have to understand the car to get it to safely do what it is designed to do. I guess in some thing going to the limits can be safe (less dangerous) when you truely understand the vehicle.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3
Funny Frodo. I had to laugh. No condoms here, I ride free. Seriously, I think a true driver/opperator is an integral part of the machine. Afterall it is the brain and body in control. You have to understand the car to get it to safely do what it is designed to do. I guess in some thing going to the limits can be safe (less dangerous) when you truely understand the vehicle.
Whew! I'm glad you took my post in the manner in which intended (ie NOT ). The minute I clicked "Submit Reply" I feared that my post would be received in the wrong way...along with the thought, "I GOTTA stop the practice of posting after more than a couple beers!!"

Though I'm no mechanic (not even close, though I aspire to much more than scratch the surface in that direction), I understood the thinking behind your post. I, too, somehow feel more "in touch" with my car after doing something as simple as changing the oil & filter. Hat's off to your 'oneness' with your Boxsta, and to your sense of humor.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #18

Hey Frodo.
Although I now live in Idaho, I'm from Maryland and have spent alot of time working in New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts. While working in those states I learned how to roll with the sarcastic banter. Play along. To the point, over time, of getting "Jersey Attitude" myself. That kind of talk is fun to them. I think it is how they cope with living in those high density environments. Most folks seam to know about the rough talk reputation of Easteners. Folks here in Idaho are gentle and polite in comparison. I often tell the local Idaho folks who are taking a trip back east to keep in mind. "If they are not cussing you...they don't love you". Telling them that before they go seams to help reduce some of their anxiety about dealing with the Easterners.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #19

You be preachin' to the choir...born and raised in south Jersey myself. Grew up with Springsteen in my ears and fresh tomatoes, corn and asparagus on my plate!