Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #1

Mounting your amp in the trunk

My new Infinity Amp will be here shortly. It won't fit in the stock location so I'm debating on where and how I should mount it in the front trunk. I really hate to drill holes in the floor!

I'd love to see some pics or hear about how you have mounted your amp. My latest idea is to glue a steel plate to the floor with bolts coming up to attach the amp. I would glue it with seam sealer and cover it with the factory carpet leaving just the four small bolts coming up through the carpet... Thoughts?

jtessmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #2

I just installed an AMP behind the driver side seat. Not sure how big your AMP is or
how tall you are... My seat is pretty much pressed up against the AMP.

I can try and take a pic for you....
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Nope, gotta go in the front trunk...heading out to the garage right now to make a plan
Old 04-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtessmer
Nope, gotta go in the front trunk...heading out to the garage right now to make a plan
I have seen pictures on Planet-9 of the following: They make a false floor for the frunk out of plywood and bolt the amp upside down to the lower surface of the false floor. They then cover the top side of the false floor with carpet. This would preserve the functionality of your frunk at the cost of only a few inches of depth, and no holes in the actual frunk.

As a disclaimer, I don't have an amp in my Cayman, and I'm not sure I'd do it this way anyway. JL Audio has amps available that are small enough to fit inside the area where the CD changer would go. If I were getting an amp, that's what I'd do.

Suggest you run a search on http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-electronics/. You should come up with quite a few photos of how other people have handled this.
johnsimion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #5

I have my JL Audio 6x100w amp in my front trunk floor. I just put 2 long strips of heavy duty velcro (the hook side) on the bottom of the amp and stuck it down to the carpet. I is quite secure and has never given me any problems, not even when autocrossing. Plus the amp is a bit heavy and this location keeps the weight as low as possible for a better CG.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #6

Thanks Dino, got it installed last night. I thought I did a good job of keeping the RCA cables away from the power lead, but i've got a whirring noise in the speakers....thoughts?