986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Resonance improvement (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28566-resonance-improvement.html)

j.fro 04-19-2011 07:36 AM

Resonance improvement

While I had my transmission out this winter, I decided to do a couple of things to get rid of some of the exhaust drone in the cabin. I removed the heat shield from beneath the rear trunk and lined the sheet metal with black Hushmat. It molded well around all the curves, etc. and the heat shield went right back on. I also removed all of the stock sound deadening from around the engine compartment and replaced with more of the Hushmat. Finally, I put a layer of Hushmat in the engine cover between its heat shield and the inside plastic.
Bingo! Yeah, since it's pretty much an open exhaust, it's still loud, but the 2800 RPM drone is gone. My wife and I can actually have a conversation on the highway. And the hushmat came in a few pounds lighter than the stock stuff I pulled out.

Johnny Danger 04-19-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro
While I had my transmission out this winter, I decided to do a couple of things to get rid of some of the exhaust drone in the cabin. I removed the heat shield from beneath the rear trunk and lined the sheet metal with black Hushmat. It molded well around all the curves, etc. and the heat shield went right back on. I also removed all of the stock sound deadening from around the engine compartment and replaced with more of the Hushmat. Finally, I put a layer of Hushmat in the engine cover between its heat shield and the inside plastic.
Bingo! Yeah, since it's pretty much an open exhaust, it's still loud, but the 2800 RPM drone is gone. My wife and I can actually have a conversation on the highway. And the hushmat came in a few pounds lighter than the stock stuff I pulled out.

What kind of exhaust do you have ?

j.fro 04-19-2011 12:06 PM

Chinese headers, Fabspeed bypass pipes and a Borla muffler.

Johnny Danger 04-19-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro
Chinese headers, Fabspeed bypass pipes and a Borla muffler.

Did you get a free Pu Pu Platter with those headers ? Just kidding . :) I'm surprised that it caused that much drone .

Jake D 04-19-2011 03:37 PM

So you think the trick is to add more to the engine cover? I have a stainless exhaust I got off some guy on craigslist for $150 that drones in the 24-2600 rpm range. I make due cause it sounds better than stock.

When he came by to bring the exhaust, he also gave me a fuel filter, another set of tail lights, a boxster bra, and another factory exhaust. Not a bad deal for $150 I didn't think

WhipE350 04-19-2011 05:03 PM

J, thanks for the post, I didn't know about this stuff. I'll keep it in mind when I dump some cash on a new exhaust system.

j.fro 04-20-2011 02:16 AM

IMHO, the most improvement came from lining the underside of the trunk. Stock, the trunk has nothing, yet it is one of the largest single metal panels. As well, it is only separated from the exhaust by the heat shield, which itself is another large, undampened panel. Take the carpet out of the trunk and tap on it. It reverberates.

Since I had the trans out, I decided to put the dampening material on the underside of the trunk. I figure if I can deaden the vibrations before they get to the metal, I'm better off. If I had had the engine out, I would have put the material inside there as well. The engine stayed in the car, so the material is on the outside of the firewall and engine compartment.