Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

How to remove rear trunk motor

Hello all

I'm new to the Boxster world. Recently bought a 2000 Boxster S. Learning more and more about it reading all I can. Now, the rear trunk motor is working, but the cable is broken. I wanted to take the motor out and see if I could replace the cable or something, but I can find out how to only take the motor out., Look like you need to take all the rear wing assembly out just to have accces to the rear trunk motor.

Is there a simpler way to dismount the rear trunk motor.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by wawa; 04-18-2011 at 03:47 PM.
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #2

Garage
nope, taking that thing out is a pain in the ass. I know that one for a fact!
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #3

Any instructions on how to remove the whole thing then? I need to inspect mine too.

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #4

I have found the manuel shop in pdf somewhere on the web, but dont remember the adress. There is a section where they describ how to remove the rear spoiler. Does not sound fun. I'm not sure I want to go all that way, just to have the trunk opening at the push of a button on my key.

wawa
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #5

See: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair/71-BODY-Convertible_Top_Repair.htm
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #6

Garage
on the plastic piece at the top of your spoiler there are three plastic push pins. you have to push them in and the plug they are in will come out. once you have removed those you can pop (gently) the plastic piece off. under that is thspoiler itself. it is held on by two torx screws one on each actuator post. once you remove those the spoiler will come right off. under that you have to take off two screws on each actuator base. from there you have to do the rest from the inside of the trunk. take apart the latch cover, pull up the carpet and you can see the rest. my guess is the wire operating one of your actuators broke. I doubt you can fix it. the whole assembly will probably have to be bought from a junker. this is just what I can remember from the top of my head and should get you on your way. btw none of this is any fun at all.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #7

Brilliant - thanks!
Sam
Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
SPB racer

Garage
If you figure out that you need any parts let me know. I have removed the entire assembly from my 986 spec racer and probably have them sitting here. You can have them for the price of shipping or if you're quick, and what you need will fit in a suitcase, I'll bring them to aus when I come out to visit in a couple of weeks. My ailing mother lives in Canberra.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #9

That would be fantastic! I am more than happy to pay for postage and also give you some money for your trouble.

Out of curiousity, the wing wouldnt be arctic silver by any chance????

Let me know!
Sam
Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
SPB racer

Garage
The wing is arctic silver but remains on the car. I do have the motors however. Let me know what you need and I'll see if I can help. My email is Laurence.jitts@att.net.

Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote