986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   IMS - Just in Time (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28517-ims-just-time.html)

Sourcerock 04-16-2011 11:17 AM

IMS - Just in Time

Bought my 2000 S March 2010 with 65K miles. Shortly after the purchase, interested in spending some $ on performance. I was looking to find the best value upgrades for intake, exhaust, cams, wheels.

After reading the various posting on this forum over the past several months, my decision reluctantly turned towards the IMS, Clutch and RMS. The car now has 73K miles on it.

The first step that PMO was getting the exhaust off, even after hitting it with penetrating oil for one week. Once the exhaust was out of the way, I was at the flywheel in short order (almost, had to drive to Napa to get a speciality sock for one unique bolt holding the tranny to the engine).

The second thing that PMO was I was too late for the clutch job and dual ma$$ flywheel is pooched which just about doubles project costs.

The third thing the PMO was getting the nut off the IMS bolt. I only have a propane torch so it was tough getting enough heat to it.

Finally got the IMS out last night. Just in time as there is a lot of play in the bearing. I removed the plastic insert and half the dual row bearing fell out when i turned it over. It's very likely the chain would have jumped the sprocket soon.

For anyone out there who wants their $ go to the fun go fast goodies like I did, I have to say follow the good advice of the forum and spend your money on M96 flaw. I'm sure it just saved me a lot of time, grief and money.

VGM911 04-16-2011 01:46 PM

What does "PMO" mean?

yoyo7 04-16-2011 02:02 PM

I caved...

Knowing the risk of what could happen "if" and the cost for replacing the engine was no longer a "wait and see" decision. So i bit the bullet this week and had the IMS upgraded with LNE solution kit, replaced the RMS seal and what the heck i decided to replace the clutch and flywheel assembly. The OEM bearing was still in very good condition with no sign of wear and tear. The RMS was leaking slightly. The clutch had roughly 30% life remaining.

So I can now sleep at night for another 60K miles!

Happy Motoring.

ekam 04-16-2011 02:18 PM

^Did you get it done at Mantis?

yoyo7 04-16-2011 07:40 PM

Yes. Mantis is my main shop for aftermarket performance upgrades. They are also an authorized dealer for LNE - they have completed many IMS upgrades.

*Dropped off the car on Monday morning and it was ready Tuesday afternoon... awesome. Peace of mind. :)

Idaho Red Rocket 3 04-16-2011 08:04 PM

What was the damage to your wallet ?

Mike_Yi 04-17-2011 01:57 PM

I'm guessing PMO = Pissed Me Off?

jaykay 04-17-2011 01:58 PM

Ahhh didn't know mantis were doing them

yoyo7 04-17-2011 04:22 PM

I had a few other things done... total damage was just over $3400.

How much is a kidney worth on eBay? lol

Sourcerock 04-17-2011 05:33 PM

Yup guessed right on the PMO.

Spent some of the day cleaning everything up in prep for the IMSR install. Followed the suggestion to wrap some rags on a stick and clean out the inside of the IMS shaft. Rag picked a few tiny patches of metal finds.

Forgot to mention on the first post that during the last oil change I found a trace of metal dust on the magnet. Tried to listen for bearing whine on cold start but did not hear anything.

For those who have not had chance work with the factory muffler and the warm-up CATs, those suckers are seriously heavy. I'm starting to see why some upgrade CAT back for little or no horspower.

ekam 04-17-2011 06:00 PM

That's what I'm been saying all along, get cat-back exhaust instead of just the bypass pipes to get huge weight saving.