986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Aftermarket Exhaust (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28515-aftermarket-exhaust.html)

dennis 04-16-2011 06:18 AM

Aftermarket Exhaust

I have an '01 Box and am thinking about going with an aftermarket exhasut that will provide a little extra hp (maybe) and more impressive sound. Any suggestions?

yoyo7 04-16-2011 07:07 AM

Check out the Fabspeed website...
Excellent workmanship on the product and sounds fantastic. Honestly, not sure about the extra HP on any exhaust system... that can be debated either way.

Have fun in your search.

Auf los! 04-16-2011 11:04 AM

Later OEM an option?

Not to hijack the thread, but wouldn't a later ('03-'04) OEM exhaust be an option? I recently came across a 2001 where the owner had done this, and was very happy with the sound.

Anyone know what the difficulties are in installing a later exhaust in an earlier car? There is also the option of the later PSE, which comes with the switch.

dennis 04-30-2011 11:55 AM

Thank you, Fabspeed exhaust is also sold through Pelican parts. What about flashing the computer? I called a local Porsche dealer and they said it could add 40 HP and is not detrimental to the car, although it does void the warranty.

yellowboxster01 04-30-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis
Thank you, Fabspeed exhaust is also sold through Pelican parts. What about flashing the computer? I called a local Porsche dealer and they said it could add 40 HP and is not detrimental to the car, although it does void the warranty.

40hp with a chip? If so, they’re lying to you. I think the highest gains I’ve seen with a chip/reflash is 15hp on a base Boxster. Turbo cars see greater numbers in chips than NA cars.

Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust is what I recommend and run.:) Oh and if you email Fabspeed they’ll give you a better price. I got $100 off just by emailing them.

RandallNeighbour 04-30-2011 05:15 PM

Whatever you buy, make sure you get something in writing saying there is no cabin drone or resonance at 2000-3000 rpm or they'll give you your money back. I've yet to hear about an aftermarket muffler that doesn't produce headache-inducing drone with the top up.

Wingnut2u 04-30-2011 05:37 PM

This is just my opinion but no exhaust will increase hp, you may get better sound which makes you think you are going faster but you really aren't. The cost of a Fabspeed or similar exhaust is very expensive since all you are getting is a different sound.

As previously mentioned, almost all of the aftermarket exhausts will give you an annoying drone at 2k-3k rpm. I have done the cheap Chinese exhaust which did have a good sound but had the dreaded drone and it felt like I actually lost low end torque

If you want loud and don't have to worry about having a conversation with your wife while you are driving then go for it. If not, then it will not be money well spent

Just FYI, I have a GIAC flash and a RUF exhaust and they made no noticeable difference in hp. With the GIAC flash I gained a little bit in low end throttle response but my track times stayed the same.

Personally I would spend the $$$ on suspension and DE registration fees

Johnny Danger 04-30-2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

I have an '01 Box and am thinking about going with an aftermarket exhasut that will provide a little extra hp (maybe) and more impressive sound. Any suggestions?

Better sound in terms of louder and more aggressive, yes . As far as more hp is concerned, again we're talking about small gains with an aftermarket catback alone.

dennis 05-01-2011 08:20 AM

Well i have that rattle noise that I think is coming form the cats. Can I remove them?

jwade 05-01-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Factory PSE for sound and looks in my opinion. Want power, add headers and bypass pipes. No disappointments!

Johnny Danger 05-01-2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Well i have that rattle noise that I think is coming form the cats. Can I remove them?

You can delete the secondary cats with out any problems .

rgriffin 05-01-2011 10:53 AM

I have a 2001. I put in Dansk exhaust and power chip. Very happy with the sound and performance. Sounds better with no drone at low rpms. I would definitely choose this option again.

DFW02S 05-01-2011 12:09 PM

Fabspeed on an '02 S. (Not mine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nha9xnK0QU&

Wret 05-02-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

I went through two stock mufflers to get rid of the rattle. It was NOT from the cats. My mechanic says the Boxster mufflers are know for this.

In regard to you aftermarket mufflers, I went with a pair of Hushpower DBX mufflers. They are of "moderate" sound level. The sound can be a little annoying with the top up between 2500-3000 rpms but over all I'm very happy with them.

dennis 05-16-2011 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to flash my ecu so i will probably remove the cats anyway