986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Oil leak, any idea? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28513-oil-leak-any-idea.html)

kkmchan 04-15-2011 08:05 PM

Oil leak, any idea?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Folks,
2000 manual Boxster nonS with 104k. Been running fine except for a ticking noise that only heard when gear is engaged at low speed, coming from the right rear area. Couldn't figure out where the noise is from for a long time and been ignoring it. Yesterday took the right rear wheel out and saw small amount of oil leak as in this picture. According to the service manual it's from the VarioCam cover. I don't see any place to tighten it up.
Diagnosis? Prognosis?
Thinking of taking it to the shop but may be good to get some ideas how much that will set me back...
--Ken

Pinarelloman 04-16-2011 11:51 PM

If it was me, I would look in a service manual and check the tightening torque for those bolts and also check if a gasket is meant to be there.

If so, replace gasket and tighten to recommended torque. remember you are tightening into aluminium.

jaykay 04-18-2011 07:39 AM

Vario cam solenoid oring seal would be my guess....just a guess

More pictures of the surrounding area would be good

The ticking noise could be anything

thstone 04-18-2011 10:15 AM

Definitely Variocam solenoid cover is leaking.

Remove the two Variocam solenoid cover bolts, pull the cover back off of the solenoid, and replace either the cover seal or possibly the entire cover (if the seal is integral to the cover).

kkmchan 04-18-2011 08:06 PM

Thanks guys.
The manual said you can replace the VarioCam cover seal. I'm going to ask the shop to do that and make sure there's nothing else leaking.

pharaohjb 04-16-2012 10:38 AM

I noticed this exact same issue after finding a couple of drops of oil on the floor of my garage last week. Is the fix really that simple to unbolt the VarioCam solenoid cover (part # 996.105.223.52 for a '99 2.5L, I presume), replace it, and tighten the bolts back on? Anyone have the torque specs for these bolts? Also, is it worth it to replace the VarioCam solenoid cover on the OTHER side while I'm at it? If one side is bad, is the other side simply a matter of time until it starts leaking, too?

Thanks,
Jason

BYprodriver 04-16-2012 11:55 AM

This has to be the simplest repair for these engines!

Buy a new seal that surrounds the solenoid, unplug the solenoid wire, remove 2 mounting bolts, wipe area clean, NO spray cleaners since it will enter engine by solenoid, clean bolts & threads throughly, bolt on new seal after applying thread sealant to bolts, torque to 7.5 ft/lbs.