986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   End of dipstick came off in the tube (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28500-end-dipstick-came-off-tube.html)

deliriousga 04-14-2011 04:48 PM

End of dipstick came off in the tube

I replaced the front engine mount and changed the oil today and when I pulled the dipstick out the end of it is gone. I'm sure it's before the filter so I think it is ok, but want to make sure before I drive. Anyone else had this problem happen before?

Thanks! :cheers:

BYprodriver 04-14-2011 09:42 PM

Never heard of that before but if you pull the bottom plate off the sump you can probably find it.

Steve Tinker 04-14-2011 09:57 PM

Before you drive it - where is the dipstick broken off?
If it's at the top just below the plastic ring. then you can possible get to it with needle nose pliers or a strong magnet. But if its broken off 5 or 6 inches from the bottom, it could be floating about at the bottom of the sump !!
If thats the case, I think you will have to remove the sump plate as per BYprodriver suggests....

insite 04-15-2011 08:05 AM

you have one more option. the dipstick tube is actually two pieces. one piece goes into the engine & is metal. it sticks off the block a few inches. the other piece is plastic and routes into the trunk.

open the engine cover. find the spot where the dipstick tube enters the trunk. follow the dipstick tube to the coupling. squeeze and pull; it will come apart. now you can push the dipstick tube into the trunk. at this point, you should be able to recover the broken dipstick; i bet it will be sticking out of the lower tube.

i'll post a diagram in a minute.

insite 04-15-2011 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, split the tube at the coupling circled below. recover your dipstick from part 12.

BYprodriver 04-15-2011 09:52 AM

He said "end" of the dipstick so I assume he is talking about the red plastic tip guys.

TRPLBLK04 10-20-2013 07:28 PM

Greetings, does anyone have aprt numbers for this breakdown. l believe i am missing #21 that hold the dipstick tube up thru plastic hole. it loos and pushed down un-secured........many thanks.

BYprodriver 10-21-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRPLBLK04 (Post 368477)
Greetings, does anyone have aprt numbers for this breakdown. l believe i am missing #21 that hold the dipstick tube up thru plastic hole. it loos and pushed down un-secured........many thanks.

If the 2 plastic "prongs" are broken or missing you have to buy the top half of the dipstick tube #20 includes #21 & is pretty easy to install.

TRPLBLK04 10-21-2013 03:07 PM

Many thanks Byprodriver............I'm on it.

deliriousga 12-27-2013 05:04 AM

The tube cracked in half when the engine was moved to replace the mount so the tip of the dip stick got out of the tube then pulled off. I found it in the engine under the intake area when I was trying to find the vacuum leak so all is well.

RandallNeighbour 12-27-2013 07:28 AM

Dude! I thought you were off the forum. Good to see you posting again. All is well with you?

deliriousga 12-27-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 378468)
Dude! I thought you were off the forum. Good to see you posting again. All is well with you?

All is great. Our kids just had our first grandson so we're in seventh heaven.

The only bad one is the top stopped going down in the Boxster. I'll have to figure that one out when it warms up a little.

I hope all is well with you!:cheers: