Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #1

Hey guys just got can of plexis! HELP

As above i just received can of plexis today and am badly in need of cleaning my neglected rear window. I have read many posts on the use of the plexis and am confident in applying it safely. However my interior side of window is very gritty. It seems previos owner drove w/ windows down top up and the window is so dirty. You can see the granuals. I am hesitant to clean interior to harshly for fear of scratching the plastic badly. I thought of using some sort of foam cleaner in hopes of lifting some of the debris off the surface. I would love any suggestions. I would love to clean today but feel like i would be better off waiting for proper support on the issue. It's so nice having a forum full of experienced people to turn to when doubt creeps in my head. Thanks for past, present, and future help, hopefully i can contribute as others have for me.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #2

I clean the inside and outside of mine with a soft, soapy moist sponge that I lightly move across the surface. I don't think you'll scratch it if you use soapy water and don't put a lot of energy into the rubbing. Just wipe it down both sides insuring there's no soap residue left and then apply the plexis.

Betcha you'll see a huge difference.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks Randall. I will try this out. Do u put towels down to catch water/soap. Seems this is gonna be an awkward job. It just started raining here so i'll have to put it off until tommorowo most likely. I wish i had a garage.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #4

Talking

I would vacuum it first with the brush attachment and go very easy on it. Then use Plexus and follow directions.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #5

sounds like you need Renovo as well. Plexus for cleaning, Renovo for removing scratches and swrils.
Use RAGGTOPP and a feather tip brush (OXO) to clean the canvas top from the inside as well as the outside.
Don't use soap on canvas.
If you don't have a garage I suggest getting a soft top cover. I put mine on each night. Summer is worse on tops than winter. No rain, dust(public enemy #1) and lots of UV. Finish with RAGGTOPP protectant. I applied a fresh coat this weekend using the top of a shoe box to shield the rest of the car from overspray. You should tape up the window but there was no wind and I was washing the car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #6

plexis

thanks for the info, i'm gonna work on it when the sun comes up. I have considered a top cover. However my first upgrade will be a grey top, i am leaning towards one w/ glass. It will be a month or two at the least. I hope to get through brutal southern summer w/ current top. After that i will address the issue. My lease will be up at end of july and a garage is #1 on my have to have. Priorities seem to have changed greatly in the last couple weeks,
Old 06-09-2005, 05:25 AM   #7

If it matters, grey is very very hard to keep clean!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #8

I hadnt considered the fact that the lighter color would show dirt and stain a great deal more than black. Assuming i go w/ grey how often would u guys expect that i would use the top protectant(Raggtop). I would hate to have to treat it more than once a month, from what i have gathered in previous threads it seems that treating the top is a considerable task. I dont mind giving the car attention, but dont want the top to need protecting as often as i would wash the body.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #9

no its not that big a job. it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to put down one coat. I do it every couple of months.
Your best bet is the soft top cover. takes two minutes to put on and my top always looks nice and clean, as do my windows. With a car like this you want to keep the canvas looking new.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #10

I just used Mothers convertible top cleaner this weekend for the first time. I am rather disappointed at the amount of soapy residue that it leaves in the canvas. I had to hose it off over and over and over until the suds went away.

I do intend to get some raggtop and apply that, too, but thought a good wash was in order.

xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote