Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #1

Garage
Rekey Boxster locks

Hi,

My wife's Boxster came with 2 keys, one for the ignition (Standard remote key fob) and one for the door and central lockable cubby hole (No electronics in the key at all.)

I have ordered a new remote key which I will have cut and coded to the car later but my question is with respect to rekeying the existing locks to all function with a single key.

There has been much said in the past on how to do this and I have already had the ignition lock out, to have a first look (Wow, with the right sort of paperclip, it was sooooo easy... Made me glad that these things have an immobiliser otherwise they would be so easy to steal.)

My initial plan was to take the key blade which fits the door and cubby hole lock, swap it into the remote housing and rekey the ignition lock... This would have taken less than a third of the time than rekeying the door and cubbyhole locks, both of which take a lot longer to get out and back, than the ignition lock.

Sadly though, with the ignition lock, in my hands, I can't see a logical way of getting the barrel out from the lock housing.... I am assuming that I need to try and find a way of getting the immobiliser ring off from the lock housing but is there anyone who knows how to get the barrel out of the ignition lock without breaking anything?

I have 2 rekey kits arriving in the next couple of days from the UK, so I will be able to rekey the other 2 locks, if I can't find a way of dissassembling the ignition lock but would still prefer to go the ignition lock rekey route if at all possible.

Nice to meet you all, by the way.

fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote