Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2005, 07:45 AM   #1

Rear brake squeal

My rear brakes (non S) are squealing under light braking and sometimes hard braking too. Had the dealer check it out and there's 65% left on the pad. They also said the squealing is normal. Dealer default answer. Well this weekend it was squealing so bad it sounded like a bus. Yesterday I remove the pads and calipers and cleaned everything out with brake cleaner, used caliper grease on all metal contacting parts, and put a little Permatex brake quite paste on pad backing plate.

I thought for sure this would solve the problem but once the brakes warmed up they started squeaking again. Does Porsche sell anti-squeal shims for the base model boxster? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah also noticed the inside pads were not being compressed by the inside caliper pistons when I was removing the pads. There was a slight gap. Is that normal?

wingnuttyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:03 AM   #2

Talking

This is NOT normal!

When you looked at pads, any glazing or spots?

Rotars smooth or grainy? Any grooves to speak of?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #3

You're within spitting distance of Jeff, or TOOLPANTS in San Jose. I'd PM him and ask him if he might be able to take a look at your brakes or refer you to a good independent mechanic who works on Boxsters in your area.

My brakes squeak from time to time, but a good blast with a water hose on the rotors seems to clear it right up.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #4

ARGGGG!!!

I have the SAME freag'in problem!

I have a 2000 Boxster S as it make the same squeel when I creap to a stoplight. There's 50 % pad left, no grooves or vibration in the peddle or steering. When i wash my car, they don't squeek for 3 days then it starts again.

WTF?????

KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #5

Just got back from the dealer to see if they had any ant-squeal shim for the base boxster. No luck only available for the S brakes. Ask the service guy about it and again he said it's normal. He said his S squeaks everyday.

The pads look like normal wear, no vibration, and the rotor have very minor grooves like the front, but they don't squeak.

Has anyone with the same problem tried changing to new/different pads or used Weltmeister brake pad liners to stop the noise?

Since the Permatex quiet brake goo didn't work I'm going to have to scrape that stuff off calipers and pads this weekend.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #6

Sorry, this is not normal on all S. In fact, I have not stocked one yet that did this.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #7

I use a product at work that works rather well but can't remember the name right now...... you just spray it on the rotors and it work a treat. Will get all the info tomorrow and post it.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #8

Bump Bump Bump
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #9

That stuff is called "Brake-in" it's a brake finishing treatment and maybe by Kleen-flo..... the part number is 333. Give it a try if everything else checks out. I've used it sereval times and found that it works rather well.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #10

Yesterday I tried a few hard braking to burn off the glaze on the rotors, then the rear brake began to squeal at low speeds even when my foot was off the brake

Anyone with the same experience? Has anyone tried sanding the rotors to get a smoother finish?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuttyz
Has anyone tried sanding the rotors to get a smoother finish?
Careful, it's difficult to be perfectly even and you can get some fluttering as if the rotor were warped if an area is sanded too deep.

I use Disc Brake Quiet (spray, not the goop) and completely clean everything thoroughly when I change the pads and I haven't had any problems yet.

Is there anything like the damper below for the Boxster? The prongs go into the piston and the other side sticks to the pad. It stops the movement and works great on the 928, just don't know if they're available for the Boxster.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #12

Talking

Clean spray can be effective. I wouldn't sand rotors, cheap enough to have them cut if that is the issue.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #13

I understand that the brakes on the S tend to squeal but it seems like it generally happens to the '00 model. Besides hosing it down every other day, is there any other way to fix this problem? I don't think my pads have worn down yet because the sensor did not pick it up but it's been making too much noise. I'm concerned this might cause problem to the rotor.

Richard
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:04 PM   #14

The dampers I mentioned before are available for the Boxster and they do the job. I think they have them at Pelican Parts or PAP Parts. You pull the pads out, clean them well, slip the damper in the caliper piston, peel the backing off, slide the pad back in and press it against the exposed adhesive. Keeps it from shifting and squeeling.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote