Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2005, 10:59 AM   #1

Discount off MSRP for Boxster S

I'm new to this forum. I'm hoping I will be a first time Porsche owner soon.

I've been reading previous threads and it seems that members are finding 3-4K off MSRP for the '05 model. Can anyone share any info for getting discounts on the '06 Boxster S? I live in Los Angeles, CA.

I much appreciate any info.

Thanks

mofius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #2

The best I could do was 2,000 off MSRP for a Boxster and half price shipping.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:30 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to NTx Car Guy
Cool Have you considered leasing

Deleted due to advertising content

Last edited by Brucelee; 07-22-2005 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Deleted advertising related comments
NTx Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:18 PM   #4

Lightbulb Dealer Prices...

Hi,

I was reading the forum as I am planing to order a 2006 S. From my visit to the dealer, I learned that dealers buy the options at 85% of the cost. So, if they are selling an option at 100, it costs them 85%.
This being said, its a 17.65% markup. So its higher than 12 or 15% people are talking about.

In general, I am thinking to make an offer of 5% markup of the total car MSRP (including options) for a full car costing $79,115 (MSRP $68,352). I will offer $72,000

Hope, this will help...
bolkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolkar
Hi,

I was reading the forum as I am planing to order a 2006 S. From my visit to the dealer, I learned that dealers buy the options at 85% of the cost. So, if they are selling an option at 100, it costs them 85%.
This being said, its a 17.65% markup. So its higher than 12 or 15% people are talking about.

In general, I am thinking to make an offer of 5% markup of the total car MSRP (including options) for a full car costing $79,115 (MSRP $68,352). I will offer $72,000

Hope, this will help...

I tried to follow you, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cost" and "MSRP" as you use those terms in your example. (I'm unsure, because you have both the "cost" and your intended offer as higher than the MSRP.)

Before we get to what I think I understand from your post, first I have to ask whether you've seen what the dealer invoice is for a MY 2006 Boxster S.

The MSRP for an S has gone up (in the US) from $53,100 for MY2005 to $54,700 for MY2006.

Sites like edmunds.com are still showing the 2005 info -- the prior (MY 2005) MSRP of $53,100 was based on an invoice to the dealer of $46,314, a markup to retail of $6,786 or nearly 15% over invoice (0.14652%)

If the dollar markup is the same for MY 2006, the invoice is $47,914. If the percent markup is the same for MY 2006, the invoice is $47,710. Until we know the actual invoice, why not split the difference at an assumed MY 2006 Boxster S invoice of $47,800, before options.

Then, look at all of the options at MSRP and calculate the actual dealer cost by assuming a 17.65% increase from dealer cost to MSRP for the options (which is 85% of the MSRP for the options). Is that correct?

Then, combining the dealer cost (invoice) for the Boxster S (before options) with the estimated dealer cost for all the options, you get a total dealer cost for your special order car. And to that you intend to offer a 5% markup over that cost for the dealer's profit.

So assuming that the combined dealer cost -- invoice plus options -- is $68,352, you're going to add 5% of that total dealer cost and offer $72K (rounding up from the actual 5% figure of $71,769.60).

Is that right?

Please post back and let us know how your plan works. It would be great to know whether an LA dealership would be willing to order a new MY 2006 987S (loaded with options as yours must be), for a 5% profit over the combined "invoice" plus "dealer cost" for the options.

Does anyone else think 5% over invoice plus cost of options is a fair dealer profit for a 2006 S? Are there other incentives and dealer rebates that make the dealer's profit even more (or is that the type of confidential information the dealership would not even tell its salespeople)?

Last edited by SoCal; 07-21-2005 at 09:02 PM.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:42 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to NTx Car Guy
Msrp

I think You are confussed. MSRP is Manufactures Seggested Retail or List Price including your options, Destination Charges and Dealer Advertising for that dealer's region Etc. Etc.. There is not that much mark up on the car itself and most mark up is in options. If you go to the Porsche site where you can build a car on-line or even go to KBB.com you will find that there is more than 100 different options and ways to build a Porsche in any model. But most dealers are only going to order the cars in a manner with options that will sell to the average customer. A retail deal (without ordering the car the way you want it and putting a sizeable down payment at time of placing the order) is probably a $2000-$2500 discount.

Good Luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolkar
Hi,

Hope, this will help...

Last edited by Brucelee; 07-22-2005 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Deleted advertising related comments
NTx Car Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:44 AM   #7

Brad,

You are essentially advertising your services here, which is a no-no.

Please refrain from this in the future!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal
I tried to follow you, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "cost" and "MSRP" as you use those terms in your example. (I'm unsure, because you have both the "cost" and your intended offer as higher than the MSRP.)

Before we get to what I think I understand from your post, first I have to ask whether you've seen what the dealer invoice is for a MY 2006 Boxster S.

The MSRP for an S has gone up (in the US) from $53,100 for MY2005 to $54,700 for MY2006.

Sites like edmunds.com are still showing the 2005 info -- the prior (MY 2005) MSRP of $53,100 was based on an invoice to the dealer of $46,314, a markup to retail of $6,786 or nearly 15% over invoice (0.14652%)

If the dollar markup is the same for MY 2006, the invoice is $47,914. If the percent markup is the same for MY 2006, the invoice is $47,710. Until we know the actual invoice, why not split the difference at an assumed MY 2006 Boxster S invoice of $47,800, before options.

Then, look at all of the options at MSRP and calculate the actual dealer cost by assuming a 17.65% increase from dealer cost to MSRP for the options (which is 85% of the MSRP for the options). Is that correct?

Then, combining the dealer cost (invoice) for the Boxster S (before options) with the estimated dealer cost for all the options, you get a total dealer cost for your special order car. And to that you intend to offer a 5% markup over that cost for the dealer's profit.

So assuming that the combined dealer cost -- invoice plus options -- is $68,352, you're going to add 5% of that total dealer cost and offer $72K (rounding up from the actual 5% figure of $71,769.60).

Is that right?

Please post back and let us know how your plan works. It would be great to know whether an LA dealership would be willing to order a new MY 2006 987S (loaded with options as yours must be), for a 5% profit over the combined "invoice" plus "dealer cost" for the options.

Does anyone else think 5% over invoice plus cost of options is a fair dealer profit for a 2006 S? Are there other incentives and dealer rebates that make the dealer's profit even more (or is that the type of confidential information the dealership would not even tell its salespeople)?

Thanks SoCAl, You are right, I was a bit confused about the terms. (I am not using MSRP anymore) The cost of the car to the dealer is $68,352 and I want to make an offer with 5% profit for ~72 thousand.

There was another note on one of the inside papers I looked at the dealer. They were getting another $972 discount from PCNA as "company discount", assuming being a better dealer/service qualifies you for that discount. But, regardless of the reasons there is another thousand for dealer to make profit. If I add that to my calculations, I should offer 71 thousand.

Thanks,
bolkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #9

Best deal I could get...

I recently bought a 2005 Boxster S. It is prime sports car/convertible season so delaer wasn't too interested in negotiating. Sales manager also said that they only had the one S and wouldn't be getting any more until the '06 models arrived. May or may not be true.
Anyway, after 3 days of the best toughest negotiating I could manage, (made offer, counteroffer, counter-counter, walked away, waited for their call, negotiated over the phone, renegotiated in person, etc, etc) I finally got the car at a 5% discount from MSRP. I think it's the best deal I could get from this dealer at this time. Could certainly do better in the fall - but who wants to wait??
FYI
Contadino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contadino
I recently bought a 2005 Boxster S.
What area of the country?
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:52 PM   #11

I got mine from pacific porsche for $47,500 out the door, base plus 18's and hid.
speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:56 AM   #12

As I got more frustrated waiting for my ordered car, I did a nationwide inventory search and found a really nice basalt/terracotta S for almost 11% off MSRP before any serious negotiating (it wasn't a demo; only 11 miles on it). My car came in and I was bound by the sales contract, so I had to pass on this deal. It may still be available. Send me an e-mail if you're interested. I have no connection with the dealer, but I always like to see someone get a good bargain.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:41 AM   #13

Go find a 2005 Boxster that is close to what you want on a dealer lot. You get the best deal when you move a piece of their inventory. Be flexible in how far you are willing to drive. I live in MA, but found the car I wanted in CT.

Go to Porsche.com, locate dealers in a 250 miles radius, and then check all their online inventories.

Got my 2005 Boxster S with Preferred Package Plus, 19" wheels, Windstop, Auto Climate for $56,900. MSRP was $61,360. That's about 7.2% off MSRP. You should be able to do even better given that the 2006's are out.
cr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:57 AM   #14

I noticed several 2004 (new) cars still on the lots - one here in SC (red), another in CA, & others. Would have to think they would be highly negotiable. "Course the book value is lower since they are 2 MY's old.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
I noticed several 2004 (new) cars still on the lots - one here in SC (red), another in CA, & others. Would have to think they would be highly negotiable. "Course the book value is lower since they are 2 MY's old.
Especially if you stil prefer the 986

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote