Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #1

Personal Mechanic Report - Fixed my stripped motor mount studs

Hi all,

Just wanted to report this for member benefit: I installed my motor mount ~1.5 weeks ago and in the process I stripped 2 studs out of the chassis (on the driver's side of the yoke). I don't know how it happened....the first 2 studs went in fine, the next two were going on and then popped out before they were even torqued to spec.

I don't have the tools to repair stripped holes in my chassis, and I just want my car back on the road at this point, so I took them to my mechanic whom I love from 11 years of working on ~6-7 of my cars.

He took the mount off completely, re-tapped all 4 chassis holes just in case, and re-attached the mount without removing the coolant hoses (so I can return a gallon of new coolant to Porsche for $38). He also fashioned 2 new brackets for my plastic underpanels which were beaten up (my fault, they weren't on the car when they got damaged) and installed them to keep them covering the important bits and tight against the car.

Then it passed inspections and emissions with flying colors.

Total bill for removing motor mount, tapping and re-drilling 4 holes, re-installing mount, creating and installing 2 new brackets for underpanels, and emissions and inspections (well, that's about $85 here)...

$300

I'm thrilled - I get my boxster back on the road, taken care of nicely, and I paid about $220 out of pocket to fix my own (presumably) mistakes.

And, short of a failure, that's pretty much all it's gonna need in the next 2-3 years except emissions/inspections/oil changes!

Woo hoo - now if only it'd get warmer so I can swap on the summer tires and sell my winter tires/wheels and hard-top!

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #2

It's nice to have something go your way...I'm always happy too when that happens...safe driving....
Old 04-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #3

awesome!

...now about that hardtop what color?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

I'll post in the for sale section.

My father gave me this boxster last summer - for years, he's been calling it Lapis Blue, but I've confirmed the paint color code as ocean blue metallic. The hard top is a dead match for the rest of the body.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.

Last edited by JoeFromPA; 04-03-2011 at 05:50 PM.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote