Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Simple Rear Speaker Project

So I'm new to the board and have read all of the rear speaker addition threads. I set out to install my own set and am really pleased with the results and thought I'd share what I did.

1. Remove rear storage shelf

2. Took the two open shelves out of the compartment following the Pelican speaker kit instructions as a how to guide.

3. So here's where is gets funny sounding but I bought a mesh garbage bin from Ikea to get the grating for the speakers.

4. Once you have the sections cut from the garbage bin use the front of the removed shelves as a forming guide to create the perfect lip detail and fit to the opening

5. Paint the steel black to match interior

6. Install grates with hot glue same as Pelican kit

7. Install speaker grill cloth just behind the metal grills again with hot glue, but make sure that you glue to the edges and not the center of the grills so that the glue is not seen. This gives that blacked out look to the speaker area.

8. I use the removed shelf baskets as the base of my speaker mounts. Taking 1/2" x 1" x2 1/2" pieces of MDF I built simple supports for the 3 1/2" speakers that I chose. I drilled two small holes for each support to properly secured them to the baskets with screws.

9. Reinstall the shelf baskets with original screws back into rear shelf compartment

10. Wire out to connector of your choice ( I used a standard trailer connector because of the perfect 4 connector fit. (RCA connectors would be a slightly better choice likely)

11. Ran wires behind interior trim work to firewall and out to amp area which I will install soon.

If anyone is interested I can send you pictures of the completed install compartment. It looks absolutely factory quality and did the whole thing for $55 including speakers that were on sale (JBL 327).

Todd

tdurnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #2

Garage
rear speakers

hey todd, i would definately like to see pictures of your project sounds pretty simple.
thanks mark
SDBxstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
pk2

Nice improvisation. How do the speakers sound...any base?

Regards, PK
Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #4

PK2 - Bass is ok but can't expect too much from a 3.5" coaxial. Much better than without the JBL have a good balanced sound to them.

SDBxstr - I have attached a couple shots. THe first is of the Garbage Bin that I started with. The second of the storage pocket lip that I used to form the metal to. And the rest show the finished product. If need anymore info just let me know and I'll try to help out.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

Speakers

I have a 98 and I took out the speaker shelf in the rear above the engine. The guy before me had 6x9's in it and they rattled. So, I had a local shop make me two 6x9 speaker boxes so that the soft top could come down and shut. I have alpine 6x9's rear, alpine 5 and 1/4 2 ways in the doors and factory in the dash. Using a alpine four channel amp to run doors and 6x9's. alpine head unit running the dash. It sounds great! I can hear with top down and of course it's louder with the top up. The only thing is if you like a lot of base you need to get a sub no matter what.

If I do anything else it would be to add a sub with a amp. All the alpine stuff was bought at Best Buy. You could save some money by buying them new on ebay.

Alpine head unit cde-103bt it has Bluetooth for phone and works great.
6x9's sps600 i think.
5 1/4 doors sps500

The place that did my speaker box only charged $60 and matched the carpet for me. I originally bought regular 6x9 boxes but they where a little to big so, I swamp them out and they made new for $30. That's how it came up to $60.
cbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #6

That's a great first post Todd!
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #7

Thanks DFW. Hope that someone finds it useful.

Todd