986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New car help requested. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2814-new-car-help-requested.html)

JP-s-in st. louis 06-02-2005 03:07 PM

New car help requested.

I have to purchase a new car to travel my 5 state sales territory in. I dislike SUVs for the main fact they do not thrill me when I drive, and they suck up gas. the vehicle needs to have space to haul samples in, and I would also like it to be sporty and fun to drive. Previous employment for the same region supplied a Ford Explorer. My new employer will be paying mileage so I can recoup most the money as long as I am frugal in my purchase. Please shoot me any ideas you may have.

My requirements are:
some room to haul,
nice interior comfort wise(leather, moon roof),
Some sort of sporty feel (i do miss the Boxster),
able to withstand 45K miles a year (trade in every3-4 years)
reasonable gas mileage,
cost below 30K (It will have no value at trade in)

Now Here is what I have looked at so for:
Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (I do not like the new interiors),
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (very noise and gas mileage is bad but I loved the idea),
Nissan Murano (like the exterior hate the interior),
Nissan Xtera (gas mileage and not that sporty),
Saab 92x (looks like a wagon but fun to drive),
Audi A3 ( top of price range but I like allot)

KRZTACO 06-02-2005 03:19 PM

Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT??

Brucelee 06-02-2005 03:49 PM

Subaru Outback Wagon.

Turbo is quite the deal.

donv 06-02-2005 04:26 PM

I second the Subaru idea (my daily driver is a '98), but different model choices:

WRX STi (a little above your range at ~$32K, hatchback, not wagon - but 300HP turbo with real sport seats, heavily optioned and brakes that are familiar - Brembos!)
WRX Sport Wagon (227 HP Turbo 2.0L - ~$26K)
Legacy Wagon 2.5GT Turbo (~$28K - 250HP).

Why? These are not the "road clearance" models, so the center of gravity will be lower for better cornering. Subaru has really taken things up a notch re: power and brakes lately (I believe their ads were quoting faster acceleration times than a Boxster at one point...).

They take a lickin and keep on tickin.

Brucelee 06-02-2005 05:47 PM

"They take a lickin and keep on tickin."

Amen,

my son had one with 165K on it. You could not kill it!

My wife is on Sub. #4.

9000RPMan 06-02-2005 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donv
I second the Subaru idea (my daily driver is a '98), but different model choices:

WRX STi (a little above your range at ~$32K, hatchback, not wagon - but 300HP turbo with real sport seats, heavily optioned and brakes that are familiar - Brembos!)
WRX Sport Wagon (227 HP Turbo 2.0L - ~$26K)
Legacy Wagon 2.5GT Turbo (~$28K - 250HP).

Why? These are not the "road clearance" models, so the center of gravity will be lower for better cornering. Subaru has really taken things up a notch re: power and brakes lately (I believe their ads were quoting faster acceleration times than a Boxster at one point...).

They take a lickin and keep on tickin.

The WRX STi is not a hatchback, its a 4 door sedan with a trunk.

donv 06-02-2005 08:19 PM

My mistake - right you are, the STi glass does not move, just the lid (I'm surprized that whacko spoiler doesn't hit the glass when the trunk is opened).

I guess it all depends on how tall the "samples" in question are... the Legacy wagon could (can?) take two 30 gal. trash cans standing up in the rear w/out the lids, I've not tried similar with the WRX wagon.

JP-s-in st. louis 06-02-2005 08:44 PM

Thanks for the advise but I will need some cargo room. The Saab 9-2x is the Subie WRX but looks better and has a rear cargo room 227HP. I was looking at SUV's or a small wagon type car.

Brucelee 06-03-2005 06:03 AM

The Outback wagon has tons of room and won't kill you on gas mileage.

JP-s-in st. louis 06-03-2005 07:21 AM

It also has to have my mountain bike rack on the top, haul the 110 lb puppy, and a cooler of beer !:cheers:

The girlfriend should fit also :p

I do like the Legacy wagon though (very cool) And the sample sometimes contain lumber and misc. boxes. items(too large for most trunks). Most the time however I have to carry literature, promo items and a tool box or two.

Thank you everyone this is great that I can ask advice on such an important personal subject to me. You all are great people. I am putting more faith into my online community after recent occurrences.

Brucelee 06-03-2005 07:26 AM

Best of luck. Let us know what you get!

:dance: