Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

Question to those who have replaced clutches

Please weigh in, did the new clutch and bleed bring the engagement point back closer to the floor? The reason I ask is because when I put one in the 944 I was shocked to find it still grabbed high for my tastes.

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #2

I had a clutch put in recently and was surprised by how high it engages.
There was really no difference between the old point and new.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

I had mine pulled out and inspected when I did the IMS. It was barely worn so I had them leave it. Just doing that noticeably reduced the force I needed to press and moved the engagement point a little more towards the floor.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #4

And there is my quandary, the only time the car slips is when it's cold and first taking off, as soon as it warms a bit it's over. IMO, it grabs too high but I'm starting to think about leaving it alone for now. I don't know how the PO drove it but it only has about 33K on it, seems kind of low miles but again who knows how the PO shifted?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #5

I had my IMS bearing replaced with the LN engineering one. The clutch, pressure plate & thrust bearing were also replaced with genuine items.
Upon collecting the vehicle the first thing I noticed was the lighter clutch but really no change to the pick up point.
Pinarelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #6

Being hydraulic, it shouldn't change much from my experience. Not sure on boxsters, but most cars you can adjust the rod that pushed in on the clutch master cylinder to adjust the grabbing point.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D
Being hydraulic, it shouldn't change much from my experience. Not sure on boxsters, but most cars you can adjust the rod that pushed in on the clutch master cylinder to adjust the grabbing point.

Does anyone know whether this is true with the Boxsters? I'd pay to have that done.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #8

I just had a brand new clutch put in also and mine grabs at a very high(outward) point ....... I really sorta hate it. Sorta difficult for me to drive to be honest.

Is there anyway to adjust the point where the clutch grabs?
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #9

It didn't change on mine although it grabs fairly low. I didn't have to bleed because the slave cylinder went back in without needing to be disconnected.

Chris
Old 05-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler
I just had a brand new clutch put in also and mine grabs at a very high(outward) point ....... I really sorta hate it. Sorta difficult for me to drive to be honest.

Is there anyway to adjust the point where the clutch grabs?
When I first got my car, the clutch didn't feel right to me. It engaged high and had no free play in the pedal, unlike all the other manual transmission cars I have had before. When I went to the stealership to get a spare key I asked the service manager about getting the clutch adjusted and he told me there is no way to adjust the clutch on a Boxster. The clutch adjusts itself automatically. Never heard of a clutch that adjusted itself before I owned a Boxster.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:43 AM   #11

If you think about the few millimeters that a clutch disc wears from new to worn out, and then multiply it by the leverage factor over the clutch system, you can see how the pedal pick up point could only possible move a few millimeters from new to old.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Please weigh in, did the new clutch and bleed bring the engagement point back closer to the floor? The reason I ask is because when I put one in the 944 I was shocked to find it still grabbed high for my tastes.
I noticed lighter clutch effort and a lower engagement point. It was a big difference.

JSWR450 is offline   Reply With Quote