Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2005, 06:07 AM   #1

Opinion on these parts for tune up

Should I order this kit for my 30K service

Thanks for your opinions.

http://www.pap-parts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BXT%20TUNE%20UP%20KIT

Mike

99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:36 AM   #2

You don't need new plugs at 30k.

If I were you, I'd call Sunset Porsche out of Portland and ask them how much the other stuff costs... they're cheap!!! Might save you even more than this site's offering without those plugs.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:37 AM   #3

I thought I had to change my plugs at 30,000miles?? I want to anyways...

Mike
Old 08-12-2005, 06:55 AM   #4

Compared with Dealer part prices, that kit is a STEAL!

The issue might be quality. I don't know that plug brand.

Its a pick um!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:20 AM   #5

OK, here's a perfect example of where I have posted something that's wrong. Dadgummit!

I pulled this off the PCA website just now:

"As per Porsche all the Boxsters get spark plugs replaced at the 30k service up to and including MY2000. Now they do state that MY2001 and newer Boxsters get them replaced at 60k miles. I would suggest though that the 2001 and newer cars get them at 30k or as required should they get driven infrequently. This is because they will get glazed and fouled from old gas and other contaminates.

Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 5/30/2005"

My mechanic told me every 60k, but he must have been dead wrong and confusing my model year with another.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #6

The spark plugs that are listed is the wrong heat range, 6. When the Boxster first came out it was 6 but then a few months later in April 1997 Porsche changed it to a 7 whcih is a hotter plug. I have seen other companies still listing the old heat range. On the 2.5 Porsche says 30k miles.

Fuel filter is 60k miles.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 08-12-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:40 AM   #7

These are the plugs that come with the kit..

Bosch FR 6 LDC 2 Electrode Spark Plug

Mike
Old 08-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #8

I know. They are the wrong heat range per the April 1997 bulletin. We have had 2 people who buy plugs at parts places show up on our work on cars days with the old heat range so parts places still have the old heat range listed. If you search on internet parts places sometimes you will see the correct listing and sometimes the old. If you buy them from Porsche you get the correct heat range, but you will most likely get Beru not Bosch plugs. The plugs listed on PAP are Bosch.

I assume you have a 1999. The Bosch plug for your 2.5 is FR 7 LDC4. The Beru plug is 14 FR 7 LDU. The 7 in both part numbers is the heat range.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=720

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3456

The kit also has the drain plug. We reuse the original plug.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #9

They have both plugs available on their site for the same price, so I will have the sub in the FR7 plugs into the kit.

Love you guys

Mike
Old 08-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Compared with Dealer part prices, that kit is a STEAL!
The issue might be quality. I don't know that plug brand.

Its a pick um!
The kit is nice because everything's together, but like Brucelee, I don't like the plugs in the kit and you don't need everything for the 30K service. I just ordered all of the parts separately and got the plugs locally. All of the parts in the kit are OEM Mahle except for the plugs so it's the same stuff the dealer has without the Porsche stamped on the box.

Like Tool Pants said, 60K for the fuel filter. It's a PIA to change it so it's not something you want to change if you don't have to.

After reading the forums Tool Pants mentioned, I'll be pulling my plugs out next weekend! I replaced them with the Bosch Platinum +4 and I don't want to take the chance of the tip melting. It has happened with 928s so I put original type copper plugs in it after hearing about it. I can't believe the Boxster does the same thing.

Thanks for the heads up Tool Pants!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #11

I talked to the guy and he said he will sub in the bosch FR7 plugs like suggested above. He also said he will update the kit with these new plugs as he wasn't aware of the mistaken heat range.

I am gonna change the fuel filter anyways If I am in there I might as well do everything, plus I love to get greasy IS there a link to a write up on changing the fuel filter?

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #12

You can always hold the fuel filter for another day.

Either way, it seems like a good deal.

Thanks to all who helped out!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Boxster-MK
IS there a link to a write up on changing the fuel filter?

Thanks
Mike
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?act=diy&code=diy_ff

They left an important part out:
After you disconnect the battery, you need to release the pressure in the fuel system before taking the old filter off. The relief valve is in the engine compartment on the passenger side. It looks like a huge tire valve stem cap. There's a valve under the cap you need to press w/ a screwdriver to release the pressure. Put a few paper towels around it to catch the gas that will come out and wear goggles in case it sprays. Put the cap back on right after you do this so you don't forget later.

Also get ready for a bunch of gas to come out when you pull the filter. A bunch of paper towels and goggles will keep you good.

Last edited by deliriousga; 08-15-2005 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #14

There are two types of pollen filters out there - I've seen the cheaper (white)version on sale on ebay for $20 - the charcoal (grey) one is a little more expensive and I'd make sure the one you are getting has the charcoal. I just bought all of this stuff separately from Suncoast motorsports online in Florida and think I paid about $50 for the Porsche plugs, $20 for the air filter, $30 for the charcoal cabin filter and $12 for oil filters with new drain plug washers. I live in Portland, Or., but for some STUPID reason, the local dealer (Sunset) that will sell to all of you out of staters for dealer cost sells to us locals at a HUGE markup!
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:22 PM   #15

Killer, why not get a friend or family member to order stuff for you that lives out of state and have them mail it to you? You'd have to pay them for the parts and addl' shipping, but it sure would save you some cash.

I always wondered if I'd get the same prices if I walked into Sunset Parts Department.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
I live in Portland, Or., but for some STUPID reason, the local dealer (Sunset) that will sell to all of you out of staters for dealer cost sells to us locals at a HUGE markup!
I believe that reason would be PCNA rules for dealers. I'm sure PCNA has stipulations built in for the dealers that make sure they are competitive within the same state. If one dealer sold for way less locally then everyone would go to that dealer for service and the other dealers will be left in the cold. It also cheapens the Porsche brand if service is the same cost as a Honda. I know it flys in the face of the free market, but that's how it goes when you're sort of like a franchise.

Do you know if they are real charcoal filters or just charcoal color? If they are charcoal activated then they'll do a much better job of controlling odor. I have the white one and have not noticed any difference from the original (it was white too), but I'd love to have a charcoal activated one.