986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Gum Chewing Vandal! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2805-gum-chewing-vandal.html)

RandallNeighbour 06-01-2005 04:30 PM

Gum Chewing Vandal!

I was cleaning my car the other day and saw that someone had spit out a wad of gum into my Boxster and it landed on the driver's floor mat... one of the brand new floor mats my wife gave me for Christmas. Grrrr.

I was careful that day to remove my rollbar inserts and windscreen and roll up the windows before I ran into the store for a few minutes.

I guess lots of people are jealous and do stupid things to prove how jealous they are.

Anyone have an idea as to how I can safely remove the gum?

bigislandboxster 06-01-2005 04:37 PM

That is a bummer , the gum on the floor mats :( .....But why roll up the windows if you are going to leave the top down? I wouldn't leave my top down unless I was in full view of it when leaving.....I don't trust ANYBODY when it comes to these cars, they attract too much attention....

Hopefully you can find someone who can help ya with the gum, I'd like to know myself!

Lou

98Boxster98 06-01-2005 05:11 PM

Removing chewing gum from carpet

Bethencorp 06-01-2005 05:13 PM

My wife says try to freeze it with an ice cube and pick it off while its hard

tqtran 06-01-2005 06:32 PM

Peanut Butter will remove gum.
And soap and water will remove Peanut Butter.
or any oil based products such as baby oil, lotions, even cooking oils or sprays
Also, thats one of the many reason why I don't park my car with the top down.

edit: You can also use Goo Gone, that stuff rocks. I've been told it will remove gum from carpet. I've also been told that lighter fluid will instantly dissolve gum.

Brucelee 06-02-2005 04:16 AM

Goo Gone is great but I tried it on gum on my mat and it did not do the trick.

Perhaps I was not patient enough?

:dance:

Brucelee 06-02-2005 04:18 AM

"Anyone have an idea as to how I can safely remove the gum?"

Anyone have an idea for removing your foot from up the ... of the guy that did this?

What a turd he must be?

:matchup:

RandallNeighbour 06-02-2005 05:07 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the ice first... it leaves no secondary substance (peanut butter) to then remove.

BTW, I roll up my windows with the top down to make it far harder to reach into the car from either side and get into the map pockets on the doors... these are not covered by the infrared sensors I enable with my wonderful little red clip.

KRZTACO 06-02-2005 09:13 AM

Ice works great, just takes time

BuffaloBoxster 06-02-2005 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the ice first... it leaves no secondary substance (peanut butter) to then remove.

BTW, I roll up my windows with the top down to make it far harder to reach into the car from either side and get into the map pockets on the doors... these are not covered by the infrared sensors I enable with my wonderful little red clip.

I do the same thing. It's not exactly a theft deterrent but people are less likely to climb in over the roll hoops than just reach in their hand.