Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #1

wipers don't work

MY99 Boxster,

simply put, my wipers don't work. Fuse is fine. I assume it could be the relay (?).

Everything else works, so I assume the ignition should be OK.

any ideas???

thanks

chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #2

Figured out whats wrong: bad wiper motor.

What I did was first check the fuse. In my case, fuse is OK. Its not uncommon for a bad motor to blow fuses.

Then I removed the wiper motor. Simply removing the 13mm nut off the blade assembly, then the remaining 3 10mm nuts on the motor, and the 10mm on the bracket the covers. Remove the wiper motor.

I then put 12 volts to the motor (actually, I already knew it was bad, because it was pretty warm. But 12 volts, no spin.

I then removed the plastic cover to see if it was all gummed up. Sort of gummy, but not bad. So, I pulled out the 'spindle' by tapping down the the washer that holds it in place. Once pushing down on those washer 'tabs', the shaft pulls right out. Then I placed 12 volts again, and after a couple jolts, it did spin. Problem is, wouldn't spin every time. So, I decided what the heck, lets take the motor apart. I found damaged brushes (assuming those are the long thin pieces that cover the windings.

Probably could rebuild the motor, but went ahead and ordered another wiper motor.

Problem solved
chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Good info, thanks for posting the solution, I'm sure someone will run into the same problem and find this post.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote