986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The saga continues! "New" engine blew up! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/28042-saga-continues-new-engine-blew-up.html)

AndyA6 03-08-2011 05:11 AM

This is getting interesting!

mikefocke 03-08-2011 05:23 AM

Which at best saves an engine from one of 21

known failure modes even according to its proponents. This statement is like commenting that the radiator cap didn't save the engine.

I'll be interested in the symptoms of what happened and then we can all theorize on what went wrong and perhaps learn something from someone else's sad experience.

The car was just worked on and had more than the IMSR done to it IIRC.

seningen 03-08-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
seningen,
I think you already have your answer...

I'm sure this, as you called it, 'box of marbles' is a particularly sensitive subject since it has the "engine saving IMS retrofit/upgrade" . . .

No Box of marbles is not IMS --

When the IMS goes -- you most likely have bent valves.

Things can get worse -- but on my limited watch -- this is what I have seen.

You can also loose one of the chains, but I wouldn't expect that to be sudden.

Box of marbles -- I'm talking chunks of metal in the oil pan from
connecting rods, cracked pistons, cylinder wall debris.

I missed the original discussion.....

What year/model is the new engine. What is the history of this engine and
what if any rebuild info do we have? --- Ok I found the old thread --- an 02 S
that appears to have spun a bearing or some such and sent the connecting rod
through the block (ouch!)

But I can related -- we just lost #2 rod bearing on our 924S LeMons/Chumps
car. Time for some rebuild and oil mods!

Without tearing it down your new engine -- it's only speculation.

But if its something I haven't seen -- I'd sure like to know about it.
I can't prevent everything -- but I'd sure like to try with in a reasonable budget :-)

Mike

insite 03-08-2011 06:54 AM

engine was an '02S with unknown mileage. it had an LN IMS and a 2qt accusump system.

it has been used on track in the past. the engine was pulled from its original car following an AOS failure that was misdiagnosed as a blown motor.

thstone 03-08-2011 07:58 AM

Most likely something was missed in re-assembly and came apart as soon as the engine was run up to speed.

seningen 03-08-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone
Most likely something was missed in re-assembly and came apart as soon as the engine was run up to speed.

Was the engine disassembled after the AOS misdiagnosis or just the AOS fixed?

Maybe there was a bent con rod (or stressed con rod, bolts, cap, nuts?) from
a hydrolock situation.

Not evident when running at moderate RPMs.

Mike

Byron in Atlanta 03-09-2011 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insite
ah; i hear what you're saying now. the revs do drop very fast. in the older cars, if the idle valve is the least bit sticky, it won't always react in time to keep the engine from stalling. i think the e-gas cars don't have this problem so much as the early ones. byron's was e-gas.

i was working under the assumption that the engine died after the downshift was completed. byron?

No, it died while the clutch was depressed. I actually coasted the car for a second. Considered pulling to the side, but I didn't want to stop the whole event just cause the car died. So I popped the clutch and engine picked right up. I suspect that the engine died because what was happening had already happened. I never ran a full lap under speed, so I really doubt it was an oiling problem and I didn't over rev. As I said, I was trying to take it easy and bring it up slowly. I had already had it up to speed on the interstate, so I suspect it was a pre-existing issue with the used engine? Obviously, there is no way of knowing if there are internal issues in a used engine without a complete rebuild and Porsche has done a great job of limiting the availability of those.

insite 03-09-2011 06:13 AM

Guide or tensioner failure

Jake Raby 03-09-2011 12:32 PM

My idea of what has occurred here is NOT related to the IMS Retrofit.. We have NO issues with ANY IMSR to date of the units that have been sold or tested, a true 100% success.

What I am thinking happened to this engine was gathered when I thought this engine may have been an older reman that was just recently put into service. I have learned a lot about that as of late.

Who knows what happened to it, I'd be happy to help figure out what mode of failure generated this death certificate.

AndyA6 03-23-2011 01:56 PM

Any updates? Kindly let us know!

TIA
Andy