986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Clutch Slipping??? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27990-clutch-slipping.html)

iluvboxsters 03-02-2011 08:14 AM

Clutch Slipping???

Hi I'm a first-time poster, my brother gave me his boxster last year in June since he moved to downtown NY and doesn't need a car. I don't drive it very often and since I live in Canada it has been stored in a garage for the winter. However I did not "winterize it" meaning I didn't unplug the battery etc. Instead every 7 days I start it up and drive it for 10-15 minutes to recharge the battery etc.

I'm preparing to take it out in early April, however I noticed that yesterday when I drove it the clutch was slipping a bit, I couldn't get many clean shifts except when going from 1st to 3rd, and starting off in 1st was a little shaky. The clutch has about 70K (kilometers not miles) on it, not sure how my brother drove it but I'm very normal with it. I start in 1st at 1,300 rpm and shift at 2,700, never rip it (ok rarely lol).

Should this be something to worry about or will it go away once I start driving it on a regular basis again? I don't want to have to replace the clutch, I can't afford it this summer, maybe by the end of the year I can.

Thanks for any responses, I'm a little concerned so any input is appreciated!

chris97boxster 03-02-2011 08:50 AM

Pick up a Bentley repair manual

Next check clutch fluid level
check connections/leakage on clutch line
follow the clutch line from slave to transmission
any new drip spots on floor?
put cardboard under car for a day or 2
This is why book is helpful....has pics

get back to the forum
do search
what year of boxster...engine size?
cheers
chris

iluvboxsters 03-02-2011 08:53 AM

It's a 2001 2.7L. I'm going out right now to do the slip test (on a hill 5th gear 2000rpm). Will update once I'm back thanks for your info I'll check it out.

iluvboxsters 03-02-2011 12:08 PM

Just took it for a spin, clutch feels fine now, really smooth and take off is clean. That's a load off of my mind though I've heard it can cost up to 3,000 to replace a clutch and flywheel.

thstone 03-02-2011 12:25 PM

From your posts it doesn't sound like you did anything that would address the problem, so don't be surprised if the problem returns ...

laphan 03-02-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvboxsters
Just took it for a spin, clutch feels fine now, really smooth and take off is clean. That's a load off of my mind though I've heard it can cost up to 3,000 to replace a clutch and flywheel.

My clutch was almost gone at 47K miles (around 75K kms). Not saying that you will need clutch work, if your brother drove it gentler than my cars previous owned did, your clutch might last longer. I have seen boxster with close to 90K miles with original clutch.
But if you need a new clutch, try you catch it early enough so you don't have to to replace the flywheel. I did not have to replace mine because the clutch was not worn all the way and the clutch rivets have not touched the flywheel.
Clutch kit is around $650 and with labor might cost you total of $1400.