Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #1

2005 Boxster S reliability?

So I spent some time this weekend reading up on the 2005 Boxster S and had myself convinced that I was going to go out today - drive one and place and order. But then I found the threads on this RMS problem that Porsche has been having and started wondering how reliable the car would be. Especially given how much of the car is new for this year. It would kill me to drop 60k for a car and find a puddle of oil under it or have it in and out of the shop on a regular basis.

Should this problem or the fact that this car is new for this year cause me any concern? Veteran Porsche folks? How about owners of the 2005 Boxsters, what has been your experience thus far?

I currently have a 2000 Honda S2000 which I'd be selling. It has has provided me with 5 years of trouble free driving (change the oil every 3k and fill it with gas). So I'm having a hard time getting over the reliability issue.

But I really, really, want a Boxster S.

Thanks.

cr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:06 PM   #2

I'm the guy who posted the thread about the review in Excellence where the 05 Boxster S had the RMS leak. I've calmed down a bit since I posted that thread.

That test car had been on the track for days on end before they received it and had probably been redlined numerous times and driven at speed for hours on end. I'm sure the other testers on a track abused that car long and hard before they gave it back to Porsche.

If you read that whole thread, you'll see that our comrades in arms helped me see that there is no hard data on how many Porsche boxer-style engines have RMS leaks.

It would certainly be a nuisance on a brand new Boxster, but if the wife told me "go ahead and order one" I'd probably be at the dealership banging on the door an hour before they opened tomorrow morning. If the car develops a leak, I'd make the dealer fix it and refix it until they got it right. You've got a brand new bumper to bumper warranty and you can extend it if you like when you purchase the car (which I personally recommend unless you only plan to keep the car for 4 to 5 years, just in case something goes awry with the car down the line).

I am addicted to the Boxster, and you will be too! Go for it and post some pix so I can drool over what you have and I do not.

PS - Because I've not owned a S2000, I can't compare the two maintenance-wise, but the Boxster ain't like my Japanese cars. There are a couple of ex-S2000 owners on this list though and I urge them to give you feedback on this thread.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 05-31-2005 at 07:12 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:51 PM   #3

Exactly as Randall said. That car was thoroughly beaten. I just read a comparison between that same Yellow Boxster S and the new AMG SLK from Mercedes--it was in one of the magazines. They also found that the boxster was lacking--they took it to a dealership and found the alignment issue but I guess they didn't get it fixed before they gave it back, and then Excellence had it after that.

I also noticed that a lot of magazines mentioned that the windblocker was rattling and that it annoyed them. I'm sure it was all these early-production cars or perhaps even just that one yellow one as my windblocker doesn't rattle at all.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:47 PM   #4

I just read the Excellence article and was suprised as well to read about the RMS issue.
I got my 987S last week and love it. It took 2-3 months to get - I ordered the 19s, PASM, SportSeats, and PCM - I guess the dealer do not order them like this. I took it for a good trip into the San Bernardino mountains on Saturday and it handles unbelievabily well.
We will see how it holds up. I am sure it was a better choice than the Vette and others I drove - I think the writers should consider that.

Peter

Last edited by pagrossman; 06-02-2005 at 09:10 PM.
pagrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 04:08 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Pretty car, can you resize the photo so that his thread becomes more readable?

Thanks much!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #6

Sorry about the picture size - I fixed it.
pagrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:59 AM   #7

Thank you for your prompt fix. Looks better now, no?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote