986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   iPhone APP for 986forum (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27966-iphone-app-986forum.html)

ChrisZang 02-27-2011 03:42 PM

iPhone APP for 986forum

Hi,

I see that 6Speedonline and Rennlist have launched iPhone apps based on vBulletin mobile. I have NO IDEA how much work that would be for the 986forum admin, who by the way I'd really like to thank for putting all this work into this forum!!!
But boy would I love to have 986forum on my iPhone :cheers:

Stroked & Blown 02-27-2011 05:01 PM

You know that your iPhone comes with a web browser, right?

Lobo1186 02-27-2011 05:34 PM

haha. If only it had flash, then apps would not even be needed. (not that this site is flash intensive.)

Brucelee 02-27-2011 05:42 PM

I sent this to Richard Kwei, our tech genius. Let's see what he says.

BL :)

RandallNeighbour 02-27-2011 07:14 PM

if iPhones had flash, we'd have to have really really long wires to keep them charged up.

Flash is a memory hog = low battery life.

Plus, by Apple refusing to allow flash on ipods, ipads, and iphones, it has pushed everyone to adopt html5, a much better route indeed.

I'd love an iphone app for this web site. Then I wouldn't have to keep zooming in and out to see read stuff and reply.

ChrisZang 02-27-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown
You know that your iPhone comes with a web browser, right?

Try the native iPhone vBulletin app and then you know why I am asking this question.

ChrisZang 02-27-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee

Cool, appreciate it :)

ChrisZang 05-15-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee

Hi Brucelee

What did Richard say?

Cheers
Chris

Perfectlap 05-16-2011 07:17 AM

Those apps from the other sites are nothing to write home about. I'd rather use the full site on the browser. These web forums are all pretty cookie cutter and simple to begin with. It's sorta a reinventing the wheel exercise unless you add some sort of functionality that isn't available using the mobile browser.

Gary in BR 05-16-2011 07:28 AM

I use a board locally that instead of an "app" they use a mobile optimized page in the browser and it works very well.

ChrisZang 05-16-2011 07:54 PM

my problem is that my company VERY CLOSELY :eek: monitors employee's internet traffic and going to the forum on Safari on the iPhone doesn't work for me

deliriousga 05-21-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
if iPhones had flash, we'd have to have really really long wires to keep them charged up.

Flash is a memory hog = low battery life.

Plus, by Apple refusing to allow flash on ipods, ipads, and iphones, it has pushed everyone to adopt html5, a much better route indeed.

I'd love an iphone app for this web site. Then I wouldn't have to keep zooming in and out to see read stuff and reply.

It really depends on the developer, not Flash, as to how much memory is used. Html5 and any other language can be a memory hog too if you don't program it properly. If a tablet can't run Flash, it's not worth the box it came in to me. There's too much content out there that won't run on i-anything like investment, video and a lot of entertainment sites. Most of them are not going to spend 10s-100s of thousands of dollars redeveloping their sites just to please Mr. Jobs.

Please create a realphone app for the rest of us who have real smart phones that can when i-can't. BlackBerry has a larger market share than Apple and Android beats them both with 41%+ greater market share. They are both much easier to develop for than Apple too since the development tools are free and Java based, like a lot of this website.