Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
2 fast 4 U

Oil Leak

Hi Guys

I am fairly new to these forums and would like to thank all of you for the great tips and advice on here.

I recently bought a 2000 boxster S. I noticed over the winter while I was doing my oil change that I had an oil leak on the drivers side just in front of the rear wheel.

I was wondering if anyone here had any Ideas where this leak might be coming from. I am posting some pics but they are not too good.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Attached Images

Old 02-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I would eliminate the obvious easy to identify things first. Take both wheels off and clean around and under the the coils as best you can, you should find you can get it nice and clean/shiny. I recently change my plugs and did this. I've since noticed a little seeping of oil on a couple of the tubes so I'll likely go back in an put new o-rings in. No drips though. Check it again after running a few trips.

I would also check the oil fill tube that crosses the engine from the filler, you cant' miss it if you take the engine cover off. When I got my car in Nov it was clear it had leaked at some point, I cleaned it up and check it occasionally.

I'm having trouble telling what those photos are of exactly. I'm sure there a more experienced folks on here that can give you an idea. Are you sure it is engine oil.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
2 fast 4 U

oil leak

Thanks I will take a look closer and clean up the oil so I can pin point where it's coming from. The photos are not very good because I took them with the car on the ground. I will get the car on a lift to get a better view.

I think the actually leak might be coming from the spark plugs is that possible?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #4

Not only possible, but very likely. Here's the fix if it is leaking from the plugs:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Change_Spark_Plugs_%26_Tubes.html
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye280z
Thanks I will take a look closer and clean up the oil so I can pin point where it's coming from. The photos are not very good because I took them with the car on the ground. I will get the car on a lift to get a better view.

I think the actually leak might be coming from the spark plugs is that possible?
You actually don't have to get it on a lift, just taking the wheel off give access to plugs.

Yup the tubes on the plugs can leak, just clean it up and drive it a bit, you'll see. Again the leak can be caused by an old o-ring or from a crack in the tube. Both are so cheap I would replace the tube when doing the o-ring. I think my is leaking a little too but it is nothing major...I'll get around to it...no drips on floor means I don't rush

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote