Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #1

Questions from a new boy - suspension noises

Hi - I am now 3 days into Boxster ownership: I bought a 2001 3.2S 81,000 miles, last serviced at 75,000 miles. Very good condition. Bought in the UK and I am now about half way back to home with it (south of Spain) - I have a couple of issues:

Rear drivers side (right side looking at rear of car) has now developed quite a pronounced squeak. When I open the boot and push it up and down it sounds like an old mattress! Possibility covered in road crap from two days of 500 miles a day driving? Or more common problem?

Also over rough surfaces, only at slow speed, there is a non-metallic knocking sound which sounds like its coming from the rear suspension as well.

Actually I my 996 Turbo has pretty much exactly the same knocking from the rear suspensions which is something I expect to be picked up in the service for that car next month.

Any ideas? Also how often do these cars need to be serviced?

Car is fantastic by the way - I absolutely love it - so balanced to drive. I love my 911 but this is just as good (just not quite as fast basically).

sam1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #2

not sure about the squeak, but the 'clunk' could well be your rear track arms. Pop under the car and check out the condition of the rubber around these joints. Mine are absolutely hammered, so will be fitting some adjustable ones soon.

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #3

Garage
I have the same problem with a front suspension squeak, and from what I have read, its the sway bar bushings that have dried out. I'm going to lube mine with the recommended bushing grease to hopefully fix this.

dbazos is offline   Reply With Quote