986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Recommended Upgrades..... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27733-recommended-upgrades.html)

mgstu 02-04-2011 12:21 PM

Recommended Upgrades.....

I have been reading the forum for hints of which upgrades to my 1998 Boxster Tip should be my priority.

I had thought about getting rid of the amber indicator lens, front and side repeaters and of course the amber triangle fillers. Or upgrading to HID, kits are avilable for approx £70

Problem though as I have read that it is not road legal to have HIDs without auto levelling and washers - does anyone know if that is correct? I am in the UK by the way.

Have also read that 996 headlights are a direct replacement and that Liptronics are awesome but expensive...

On some posts it has been mentioned that rather than spend 2k on Liptronics there are plenty of other mods that would take priority ....... any ideas what they would be?

Top tips for Boxster upgrades greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

JFP in PA 02-04-2011 12:39 PM

Any Porsche that comes into the shop for a PPI with aftermarket HID lights, we count the lights as a “deduct” from the car’s value. Cars with OEM Litronics are seen as a adding to the value. We are yet to see an aftermarket HID kit that did not have problems or cause issues (intense glare to oncoming traffic, not legal in many states, failed our version of MOT, electrical and electronic issues with other OEM systems, etc.). I really don’t understand why people even consider these kits; most are poorly made and don’t live very long; and the internet sellers come and go like mayfly’s………..

laphan 02-04-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgstu
I have been reading the forum for hints of which upgrades to my 1998 Boxster Tip should be my priority.

I had thought about getting rid of the amber indicator lens, front and side repeaters and of course the amber triangle fillers. Or upgrading to HID, kits are avilable for approx £70

Problem though as I have read that it is not road legal to have HIDs without auto levelling and washers - does anyone know if that is correct? I am in the UK by the way.

Have also read that 996 headlights are a direct replacement and that Liptronics are awesome but expensive...

On some posts it has been mentioned that rather than spend 2k on Liptronics there are plenty of other mods that would take priority ....... any ideas what they would be?

Top tips for Boxster upgrades greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

My car has litronics option installed from factory, it works good but not worth $2K upgrade IMO.
I did put HID bulb on my previous car and it melted the bulb holder at the back of housing. Not recommended.

IMO, the best $2K upgrade is LN IMS upgrade, it makes you sleep better without have to worry about you engine detonate at anytime. You can also put light weight flywheel and high perf. clutch while doing IMS upgrade.

ekam 02-05-2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Any Porsche that comes into the shop for a PPI with aftermarket HID lights, we count the lights as a “deduct” from the car’s value. Cars with OEM Litronics are seen as a adding to the value. We are yet to see an aftermarket HID kit that did not have problems or cause issues (intense glare to oncoming traffic, not legal in many states, failed our version of MOT, electrical and electronic issues with other OEM systems, etc.). I really don’t understand why people even consider these kits; most are poorly made and don’t live very long; and the internet sellers come and go like mayfly’s………..

We think alike, are you my lost twin? :dance:

Gary H 02-05-2011 06:40 AM

Why not try a UK forum like www.boxa.net?

mgstu 02-07-2011 04:25 AM

thanks for the info from all - I will avoid HID kits and not invest in Liptronics!! I guess any lighting changes will be restricted to colour changes! De-ambering!

Will also look into the IMS upgrade cost, availability etc

Incidentally Gary, I am waiting to hear from the administrator of Boxa.net, tried to join a couple of weeks ago without success!

This forum looked good, and apart from the steering wheel being on the wrong side :) the cars are the same!

Cheers

coolbreeze551 02-07-2011 09:01 AM

If you're looking for a little extra umph! I hear that the Under Drive pulley is "dollar for dollar, the best upgrade to increase hp/torque". I'll be picking one up when summer rolls around... Might be something that you're interested in.
:cheers: