986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Just what I needed... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2771-just-what-i-needed.html)

Porschekid 05-26-2005 04:01 AM

Just what I needed...

When I drive my car to work I need to have the top down because at one intersection I can't see with the top up. So I put the top down this morning (was only around 50 degrees), get out and chop it and BANG big crack down the seam of the plastic and canvas. :mad: Is there any temporary fix for this until I get a new top... Silicone or something? Whats the difference in price i'm looking at between new window, new top, and new top w/ glass? Not a good way to start your day... :(

Porschekid 05-26-2005 05:00 AM

Looks like GAHH has the german tops with a glass window for around $750+ shipping. I may have to go that route if this is a decent quality top. Maybe the glass window will even help the resale value. Is this an install for someone who is a little handy to try out or will I need to take it to a shop?

Bright side: If I get a glass top, I can tint it. :cool:

tqtran 05-26-2005 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschekid
Looks like GAHH has the german tops with a glass window for around $750+ shipping. I may have to go that route if this is a decent quality top.

From what I hear its a great top. I plan on getting one as well.

Quote:

Maybe the glass window will even help the resale value.

Non-stock Porsche does not equal good resale value years down the road. But hey, who knows.

Quote:

Is this an install for someone who is a little handy to try out or will I need to take it to a shop?

I don't plan on attempting it :) Let me know how it turns out if you do it yourself

Quote:

Bright side: If I get a glass top, I can tint it. :cool:

My thoughts exactly. :cheers:

RandallNeighbour 05-26-2005 06:21 AM

Aftermarket Tops:
German material with plastic window off Ebay: $395
German material with plastic window from other internet vendors: $600-850
German material with glass window for older boxsters: $1200?

Factory Replacement top:
Porsche top with plastic window: $2200.00

(Installation is not included in these prices)

A new top on your older boxster? The feeling is going to be priceless!

Porschekid 05-26-2005 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Aftermarket Tops:
German material with plastic window off Ebay: $395
German material with plastic window from other internet vendors: $600-850
German material with glass window for older boxsters: $1200?

Factory Replacement top:
Porsche top with plastic window: $2200.00

(Installation is not included in these prices)

A new top on your older boxster? The feeling is going to be priceless!

I found the german material GAHH top w/ glass for $750... :confused:
http://www.gahh.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_57_341_3005&products_id= 1536
I'm just worried if i'll be able to install it or not.

YellowJacket 05-26-2005 06:41 AM

I can't speak for the Boxster, but I installed a top on my old 325iC, and it took 3 full days (18 hr days) and was miserable. I would highly recommend paying someone!

98Boxster98 05-26-2005 06:56 AM

Porscheguy05 has reported a successful top install on this board. I think he said it took about 6.5 hours but he also said that he's mechanically-inclined. You can search the board for more info.

The GAHH price at the GAHH website is only good until the end of the month so buy it soon. I think it goes back up to $950. Cabrioworld is a distributor for GAHH. At the GAHH site, there are more color choices but colors other than black involve a slight premium. Cabrioworld has fewer colors (the factory colors) but the last time I checked, all the same price.

GAHH can supply a list of installers in your area. Just fill out the form at the website. I believe that the shops estimate 9 hours for the install. FWIW, I got quotes for the install in the range $425 to $550. One consideration is that if anything goes wrong with the top, the installer will handle the warranty issues.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to do it. I'm going to study the workshop manual before I decide. A subscription to alldatadiy.com is said to help in lieu of the workshop manual.

ukchris 05-26-2005 06:59 AM

Someone on ppbb had the GAHH installed recently, I don't think installation was that expensive, they were very pleased. Do a search, it was within the last two weeks I think.

Porschekid 05-26-2005 07:08 AM

Everyone think I should get another black top, or should I go with tan to match the interior or something else that goes with green?

RandallNeighbour 05-26-2005 07:47 AM

A tan colored top on that car, one that matches your interior, would look spectacular in my book. Green and tan is a classic combination.

On the other hand, a black top will make the car look very elegant as well.

I am afraid I'm not much help, and I'd be very perplexed if I were you right now. Ugh.

Porschekid 05-26-2005 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
A tan colored top on that car, one that matches your interior, would look spectacular in my book. Green and tan is a classic combination.

On the other hand, a black top will make the car look very elegant as well.

I am afraid I'm not much help, and I'd be very perplexed if I were you right now. Ugh.

Haha, I am. I'm leaning towards black though... Probably looks better with tint and doesn't dirty as easily.

98Boxster98 05-26-2005 08:20 AM

Quote:

Haha, I am. I'm leaning towards black though... Probably looks better with tint and doesn't dirty as easily.

I have a graphite grey top right now and it does seem that darker color top hides the dirt and abrasions better as the top ages. I'm probably going to get a darker shade of grey.

Porschekid 05-26-2005 10:11 AM

I talked to a shop that says they can get the GAHH top w/ glass for $621 after shipping and charge $650 for installation so I would be looking at close to $1300. I am gonna call a couple other shops and get an install price too.

YellowJacket 05-26-2005 11:19 AM

That's a great deal!! A friend just replaced the convertible top on her Oldsmobile Cutlass (yes, I also wonder why my friend drives an Oldsmobile) for $1200. It's a vinyl top of far inferior quality to the GAHH. And she shopped around for a good deal, too!

Quote:

I talked to a shop that says they can get the GAHH top w/ glass for $621 after shipping and charge $650 for installation so I would be looking at close to $1300. I am gonna call a couple other shops and get an install price too.

Thumper 05-26-2005 11:26 AM

I've installed several tops on old MG's, Triumph's, Healey's, etc. I could usually install one in an afternoon. I don't know how much more involved a Boxster top would be to install. But I would imagine that it could be done in a day.

I wonder if the GAHH replacement top comes with instructions?

My top is still in great shape, but I do plan on going with the new replacement top with the glass back window when the time comes.

Porschekid 05-26-2005 11:54 AM

I just need to find out from someone who did it, how long it takes and how hard. If I can save $500 doing it myself even in like 6 hours then I will. ****************, I don't make any $100/hour and I'm not gonna pay someone that much if it's something I can do. Has toolpants or anyone else tackled this task? I didn't find much in a search.

KRZTACO 05-26-2005 12:12 PM

That totally Blows......even AFTER you busted out the Boxster Chop it still split.

I'd get the Gahh with the glass window.

you don't need the agony of having another plastic mess on your hands which in all likelyhood, that day after you put it on, the top is up and it's cold....snap,......could happen.

KRZ

KRZTACO 05-26-2005 12:14 PM

Quote:

Everyone think I should get another black top, or should I go with tan to match the interior or something else that goes with green?

I would keep it the stock color, whatever came on the car from teh dealer for the top color

porscheguy05 05-28-2005 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper
I've installed several tops on old MG's, Triumph's, Healey's, etc. I could usually install one in an afternoon. I don't know how much more involved a Boxster top would be to install. But I would imagine that it could be done in a day.

I wonder if the GAHH replacement top comes with instructions?

My top is still in great shape, but I do plan on going with the new replacement top with the glass back window when the time comes.

Yes, it came with instructions.

porscheguy05 05-28-2005 06:24 PM

Quote:

I just need to find out from someone who did it, how long it takes and how hard. If I can save $500 doing it myself even in like 6 hours then I will. ****************, I don't make any $100/hour and I'm not gonna pay someone that much if it's something I can do. Has toolpants or anyone else tackled this task? I didn't find much in a search.

I posted alot of info on my GAHH install from a couple of weeks ago on another thread. I think it is a 4 page thread. It took me 6 hours, and that was taking my time. I am not sure what your experience is with working on cars, but if a person had a working knowledge of basic concepts such as weatherstrip instalation, measuring for proper alignment etc...and some patience it could be done. Like I advised others, if you are unsure of your abilities then it is best to bite the bullet and pay because you could mess it up and still have to pay an installer. Or worse, you could damage the top if you got in a hurry. To be honest, 500.00 for the install is fair, but I had installed before and felt comfortable tackling it. On my scale of 1-10, 1 being changing an air filter, and 10 being a total restoration of a car, I would rate this project a 4.