Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2005, 10:26 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jamiehjr
Steering Wheel Interchangeability

Hey!

Can the 1997-1999 4 spoke Boxster steering wheel be replaced with the more handsome 3 spoke model of later years?

Thanks!
Jamie

jamiehjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:25 AM   #2

Why, yes, it can. You can replace your 4 spoke with any 986 or 996 3 spoke wheel.

Even the tiptronic wheels will work on a manual transmission. I bought a tip wheel and while it looks a little funny, those thumb switches are going to be used for fore and aft rocket launchers to eliminate tailgaters and the lunatics who drive faster than me or beat me in races.

I have a PDF containing lots of pictures of the removal and installation process... click below to go to it AFTER you read this:

After you disconnect the battery as seen in photograph one, go drink a beer and smoke a good cuban cigar. The airbag can go off if the battery is not disconnected for at least 45 minutes.

Don't let this warning scare you off... this is a very easy job and fun to do. Took me all of 20 minutes outside the beer drinking and cigar smoking time.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE PDF

This PDF shows you how to tear down the steering column to change out the stalks, so only the first few pics are needed for your wheel swap.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 05-26-2005 at 06:38 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:59 AM   #3

That is me in those pictures working on Bruce's 2000 S for a trip computer retrofit. They were taken years ago and I do it a bit differently now.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 08:37 AM   #4

What do you do differently?
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:55 AM   #5

Jeff, you are the man, that's for sure! Once again, thanks for all you do for the Boxster owner's community.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:36 AM   #6

I do not use a punch to mark the steering wheel location. I do not use tape on the air bag spiral spring. I now have a better tool to remove the air bag.

We did 6 trip computer retrofits at the same time the day those pictures were taken.

Bruce's other car.

Last edited by Tool Pants; 05-28-2005 at 04:38 AM.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote