Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #1

E-brake is breaking my center console

Hello all,

I have an issue with my e-brake. When I pull up the brake it is not aligned right so it actually feels like it pulls over towards the passenger's seat. This has now led to the center console developing a crack that is getting worse and worse. I have attached to photos below. One where you can see the brake in it's DOWN position and another one in the UP position.

Has anyone seen something like that before - and how do I fix it? Can I re-align the brake so that it moves up and down vertically rather than at an angle? How do I do that?

Obviously I will need a new console as well, but I want to fix the alignment before I replace it.

Thanks,
Lars

Attached Images

Tandrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
These instructions will show you how to remove the console. Once that's off, you can adjust the parking brake position. Get the new console first, because you don't want to do this twice. Trust me. Lol. Good luck.

http://www.bmracing.com/bmracing/installation_instruction/67.pdf

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:58 AM   #3

Can you wiggle the lever left to right when the parking brake is on? Looks like your e-brake is not secured properly as it should not be hitting the console.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Can you wiggle the lever left to right when the parking brake is on? Looks like your e-brake is not secured properly as it should not be hitting the console.
Today, I took the center console out and checked out what was wrong. It turned out that the "split" or axle that holds the hand brake handle had been pushed out of its socket on one side. That resulted in the brake lever only being attached at one point, which in turn made it move a little towards the side when pulled.

I knocked the split back in - and now its' perfect again.

Thanks for the tips!

Tandrup is offline   Reply With Quote