Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #1

My amplifier stopped working help!!

I have an '01 boxster, my alternator blew out, and now my radio has no sound, actually its very very faint you can barley hear it on full blast. Is there a fuse i should be looking at or am i gonna have to buy a new amp? Does anyone know where the fuse is?

Thanks

NYCARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #2

2 fuses:

one on back of radio (need radio keys to remove)

other in fuse panel (driver footwell - diagram on inside of panel).

However, suspect fuses are not the issue as they control power supply TO the radio itself. If blown, you wouldn't be able to turn it on. So, we might need some more details...

Do you have rear speakers? If so, are they connected to amp or h/u? If h/u, then likely issue is amp (why you can hear some but not much).

OEM amp or aftermkt?

Let us know more details to help further...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:31 AM   #3

I have the factory amp along with the factory radio, i don't have rear speakers, just the two in the dash & doors. I do not have the fuse diagram for my car, I took it in to the dealer years ago and it disappeared, so I do not know which fuse is which. Everything worked fine earlier that day, then my dash starting lighting up like a christmas tree, my battery light came on and then my headlights went out. Once the car turned off, it did not have enough juice to turn on.
Thank You for your help!!
-Rich
Old 01-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #4

Also, the faint sounds comes only from the speakers in the dash, & not the doors.
-Rich
Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #5

Sounds like you now have a battery issue along w/ alt? Have you replaced alt w/ a new/rebuilt one yet? What about battery (get load tested at least)? Need to sort batt/alt issues out first (at least batt). Any strange behavior w/ ignition switch like hard to turn or no "clunk" sound when removing?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #6

ps - here's a link to fuse guide for '01s:

sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/fuzeboxforan'01s

Old 01-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #7

Thanks for the link!! The dealer replaced the alternator ($1300.00 plus labor!)and the battery works fine after it was charged. The battery is brand new only a few weeks old.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #8

Sorted my Radio CD Bose

Hi,
I sorted my radio that would only light up when switched on but no sound or any display by using the link from Burg Boxster -http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/fuzeboxforan'01s

I removed fuses D8 & D9 with the ignition key out then put the fuses back and the radio etc is now working normally.

I hope this helps someone else. By the way my Boxster is a 2003 though link is for a 2001 Boxster.

gogsck is offline   Reply With Quote