Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #1

Cool Boxster Car Cover

I've spent a lot of time looking through older discussions on this but keep getting detoured into more interesting topics than mine, so please excuse me if this has been brought up many times before...

I want to buy a cover for my 2002 Boxster S which sits outside all day in the warm California sun. I garage it at home but want to keep it protected while I slave away to earn the car payments. I'd like to stay around $100 or less.

slogans7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #2

Talking

Porsche has one that is custom fit and pretty light, so that it is not a pain to put in on and off. I have one and use it just as you intend to.

I am not sure of the price.

Call you dealer and check it out.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #3

You should take a look at Noah car covers if you are interested in a cover that will give you the best all around protection for a decent price. We carry the the Porsche OEM cover as well but as you can see you will pay more for less with that product. Give us a call and ask for me if you want and I can set you up with one. I have the flannel cover for my car because I just use it for indoor storage protection from dust and it is easily washed but I would get the Noah in your case. The covers are taylor made to fit the boxster. Here is the link for the covers....

http://www.tweeks.com/shop?frame=8.1994
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #4

I don't recommend the use of outdoor car covers. They are no picnic.
Your car must be absolute clean before it goes on. If its dirty it will get on the inside of the cover and scratch/marr your paint.

Protect the paint with quality polishes/sealants/waxes. I use Klasse like many others.

What I would certainly recommend is the use of a soft top cover. which will keep it from getting dust int the fabric threads. It will keep the interior from fading and preserve your rear window.

The less you touch the paint of your car the longer it will last.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:14 PM   #5

Will a quality wax protect a car's paint from UV? I'm hating the thought of having to park my car outside at work--no covered parking and a lot of heat. I used to have a parking garage.

I don't know how I'm going to protect the car other than a car cover, but I've heard the same thing--that you can't use one unless the car is spotless.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:42 AM   #6

I use Porsche's silverguard cover mostly in the winter but would have no problem using it if my car is gonna sit in the sun for a few days. It's a great cover... I think I payed $100-$150 but I got a good deal on it from ebay.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 05:50 AM   #7

Talking

It isn't just UV that is an issue here in SOCAL. Crap in the air will etch your finish no matter what you wax it with. Moreover, the impact of bird and insect droppings is signifcant.

I would NOT have an issue with a light, custom fit cover. I DO think using the heavier covers on a dail basis would not be advisable and I would stick with custom fit.

Lastly, a cover will handle the UV issue for body and top at the same time.

IMHO! Good luck.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #8

Waxes/glazes do not protect you re: the pocketbooks/briefcase factor from people in the car next to you... the cover does (at least to some extent). The cover on mine has stopped stuff in the garage from doing damage several times now... I can only imagine what that rake would have done to the finish without the cover.