Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

Roof latch

Hi, my roof latch is broken and I was looking to replace it. I had a question, is the latch connected to wires on an 02 boxster? If not, I'm guessing it's probably not too hard to replace it myself?

Given the back of this picture, I wouldn't think so?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, I was curious to know what that the type of screwdriver i would need to unscrew the screws on the latch.

Thanks in advance for your help!

knicksplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

I'm confused but that's not necessarily unusual...

is the handle (on the top) broken or are you saying the receiving end (in the windshield header) is broken? I'm sure you'll need at least a good set of Torx bits for repair... Mike Focke's Boxster page has Maurice's (and others) top r&r guide

cut & paste this link:
sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/thetop-itsmaintaince%26replacement

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Hi Burg, thanks for trying to understand I'm actually talking about the handle on the top (the one that clicks in with the top of the windshield). Currently, I actually need to use scissors to lock or unlock the latch. Would you happen to know if it's a simple unscrew and replace job?
Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #4

To make it easier for people to understand what I'm talking about, here's a video of the roof operation...I have the 02 boxster so it's a less recent version but what I have to change is the handle. First of all, can someone also tell me if the below part is all I need to fix my problem. See my car has the little black hook but not the handle that locks and unlocks the roof (last maneuver that has to be done)