986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Panamera S (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27554-panamera-s.html)

TriGem2k 01-19-2011 09:41 AM

Panamera S

Hey guys,

I bought a 2011 Panamera S this past November and the car has 600miles on it to date. Just the other day I get a "low engine oil" indicator. Do you guys think its normal for the car to burn oil? I called a dealer and they said it was normal and that I should just add a quart of oil to it.

Thoughts?

James D

Maxodus 01-19-2011 10:08 AM

i wonder if they kept the dipstick as the electronic sensors can be inaccurate sometimes...

TriGem2k 01-19-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxodus
i wonder if they kept the dipstick as the electronic sensors can be inaccurate sometimes...

Nope, the dipstick is gone which blows.

Jake D 01-19-2011 11:41 AM

I think this is fairly common on newer german cars in general. A buddy of mine has a 08 5 series and he has to add oil in between oil changes which BMW says is normal. I believe he said if he takes it by BMW that they will top it up for free though.

WhipE350 01-19-2011 11:47 AM

I could be remembering wrong, but I thought my 2000 Boxster 'S' manual said that was normal too during the break in period...then again I may be on something again.

JTP 01-19-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake D
I think this is fairly common on newer german cars in general.

If this is true, is it mostly on DFI engines? Has anyone made a correlation of DFI engines' increased fuel intrusion and oil consumption?

thstone 01-19-2011 12:29 PM

Its hard to say if this is normal because of the super low miles.

Your engine isn't really even broke in yet so I'd go with what the dealer says and see what is happening when you get to 2,000-3,000 miles . By then, you should see oil consumption that will be more indicative of what the oil consumption will be for the life of the engine.

Burg Boxster 01-19-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Hey guys,
I bought a 2011 Panamera S this past November and the car has 600miles on it to date. Just the other day I get a "low engine oil" indicator. Do you guys think its normal for the car to burn oil? I called a dealer and they said it was normal and that I should just add a quart of oil to it.

Thoughts?

James D

Is it normal? Yes, normal for Porsches or so I've experienced and been told as well by my SA. My 997 C2S Cab burns ~ .75qt per 3000 miles and I currently have 30k on the clock. I think during break-in they say it could burn as much as 1.5qt per 1500mi. Definitely seems like a lot compared to other vehicles and is much more than I ever had burn in my Boxster but it's w/in the 'range' of what they say is acceptable. That being said, I'd keep a log of mileage when you add any oil just in case an issue arises in the future. That being said, and w/ logical understanding, mine seems to burn oil more w/ frequent starts / shorter duration trips.

:)

TriGem2k 01-19-2011 12:59 PM

I'll add some oil and monitor it. I don't drive the car much so it probably wont be done with the "break in" til mid summer.

Flavor 987S 01-19-2011 01:59 PM

Normal. And it's covered in your Owner's Manual.

Lordblood 01-19-2011 09:36 PM

First off, congratulations! Definitely made a good decision with the Panamera despite the looks.

My sister's Audi A4 2.0T does the exact same thing, burns enough oil to trigger the light every 2.5-4k miles. Generally the Audi dealer tops it for free, although we've begun doing it ourselves since it's a hassle to take it there every month or two(she uses it as a DD 50+ miles per day).

mts 01-20-2011 04:03 AM

To echo others comments, it is normal, but I would be concerned if it doesn't taper off a little as it gets some mileage on it.

Congrats on the car by the way, they are fantastic to drive and look sooooooo much better in person than in pictures.

TriGem2k 01-20-2011 10:14 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I added oil and well see how it goes. The car is a dream to drive. Ill post some pictures up when it actually gets out of the garage...