986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Optima Yellow Top? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27515-optima-yellow-top.html)

Overdrive 01-16-2011 02:55 PM

Optima Yellow Top?

Just wondering if anyone has put an Optima Yellow Top in their Boxster, and if so, if you could tell me what particular model you used and your thoughts. I'd like to drop one into my car if it's possible. Thanks in advance for any replies and insight. :D

blue2000s 01-16-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive
Just wondering if anyone has put an Optima Yellow Top in their Boxster, and if so, if you could tell me what particular model you used and your thoughts. I'd like to drop one into my car if it's possible. Thanks in advance for any replies and insight. :D

I don't think they make a reverse pole version of the yellow top so you might need longer cables.

mikefocke 01-16-2011 04:06 PM

I used the Red top

be sure you get the model with the posts on the correct side. (34R)

Also you'll need to make or buy a mounting plate kit.

And you may need a slightly longer grounding wire.

I did it and was done in 30 minutes of actual work. Never been inside a Boxster battery mount before. No special tools. I was about 65 at the time.

I ordered online with shipping included and it was cheaper than local purchase. I wrote up the procedure at https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/batteries

While you are in there, make sure your 2 front drains are clear.

eightsandaces 01-16-2011 04:37 PM

Check this out, ever seen it before, 11 lbs! wow that's light

http://shop.edoperformance.com/tomioka-racing-trb1100-lbs-545-performance-lightweight-battery-p-17745.html

mikefocke 01-17-2011 04:46 AM

Just try turning

a radio and a/c on with the racing batteries let alone starting the car in cold weather. Great for racing as they are light and the weight is high. But the reports I read say not really practical for daily use.

Overdrive 01-19-2011 12:11 PM

mikefocke, thanks for the info, I will definitely check out what you posted.

The position of the pole connections is something that concerned me, as I know someone who ran into that problem when purchasing their yellow top (though it apparently came with a plastic mounting plate included that raised the battery up to the proper height, which would've been nice had the poles been in the right position), so if it's not all that involved I'd definitely like to do it and have the peace of mind of having a battery that can handle all the heavy draws (like operating the top) and things that run constantly on this car.

Thanks again! :D

EDIT: I decided to take a look at your link in the same sitting, saw that you listed the Battery Tender Jr. as a good item to use. I do have one of these that I use more for the bike's battery, and just ordered the cigarette adapter that I'll need to take care of the car battery over the winter...now if you we could do something about the 2+ feet of snow lingering around here... :rolleyes:

It seems that D34R is a tricky item to track down, mike. I checked that 1st-Optima link you supplied in your writeup, but they don't seem to have it listed (only the D34 and D34/78). Do I have to contact them and ask about this particular model? :confused:

EDIT 2: Um...or am I mistaken in my thinking that they actually make a D34R Yellow Top? I see it listed under the Red Top, but I was looking for a Yellow Top...would be disappointing if they don't have a reverse one of those...

eightsandaces 01-19-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikefocke
a radio and a/c on with the racing batteries let alone starting the car in cold weather. Great for racing as they are light and the weight is high. But the reports I read say not really practical for daily use.

I think the litronics would be the larger issue

sparker 01-19-2011 04:27 PM

If you want light weight batteries with more power than your ancient lead-acid style bricks, check out these:

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@www.voltphreaks.com/ssl/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_32&products_id=117

Regards,
Sam

Overdrive 01-19-2011 09:10 PM

Ok, while I appreciate the recommendations, guys, I'm asking specifically about Optima batteries, so I'd like to keep the subject there.

blue2000s 01-19-2011 09:20 PM

No yellow top "r" listed on the Optima web site. Red tops work great if you don't have a high power stereo or something else like that.

Otherwise you just need to extend the cables.

ekam 01-20-2011 04:28 AM

They don't make the R version for Yellowtop so you'll have to deal with getting longer cables.

If you don't need the deep cycle feature I'd highly recommend going with Redtop.

mikefocke 01-20-2011 05:26 AM

You may have to deal with longer cables

even with the 34R Red Top, I did. About $8 at Autozone. I took my old one in and matched the connectors, length and thickness to one on the rack. One bolt to undo and then redo if you do need the longer cable and very accessible. No one knows why different length cables were originally used that I've ever read.

Mike was an '01S TIP.

Overdrive 01-20-2011 06:48 AM

Thanks blue, ekam, and mike. I live in Connecticut, and occasionally, as we're going through right now, there's enough snow, and cold, out there that I can't even get the car out to even take it around the block a few times, and the temp just sucks the life right out of the battery. If a Red Top can hold up to what can sometimes be a period of weeks of sitting at low temperature then I can definitely go for it.

So mike, would you say it's less trouble to get the D34R and replace the negative cable? Is that one easier to access than if I were to replace the positive?

ekam 01-20-2011 06:56 AM

I'm not sure if you're aware of the difference between the Yellowtop and Redtop.

The Yellowtop is designed for deep cycle application (ie. if you have a high-end sound system) and you want to play movie or listen to music for a long period of time with the engine off. Otherwise you should get a Redtop.

Overdrive 01-20-2011 08:55 AM

Thanks, I get what you're saying, ekam. My car's about as stock as can be, so I don't have anything like that drawing any serious power, and don't have any plans to change them...the only thing I can think of would be the convertible top, which I imagine does use a significant amount of juice to operate, so I only operate it with the car running. Maybe I'm mistaken in thinking that is case. If so, Red Top it is. :D

blue2000s 01-20-2011 05:17 PM

It's not good for any battery to drain while unused, not even a yellow top. They're expensive so you'll want to care for it properly anyway. Just hook up your battery tender when the car sits for a while and you should be fine. That's the right solution to your situation.

If you just take the car around the block every couple of weeks in the winter, you're not doing it any favors anyway.

Overdrive 01-20-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
It's not good for any battery to drain while unused, not even a yellow top. They're expensive so you'll want to care for it properly anyway. Just hook up your battery tender when the car sits for a while and you should be fine. That's the right solution to your situation.

If you just take the car around the block every couple of weeks in the winter, you're not doing it any favors anyway.

THanks, blue, I think I'll be going for a red top and a negative cable.

regarding the "round the block" thing, I never take the car out for a drive less than 20 miles, I was just making a point of how I couldn't get the car out right now to even take it down the street if I wanted to. I learned from you guys on here that short drives that don't put the car through its paces do more harm than good. ;)