Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #41

awesome car, seems pricey. Don't get wrong it would be my four door choice or an STI (better engine reputation...from what I hear at the autocross) but $40K today is what $50K was three years ago.

$40K will get you pretty nice second hand Porsche if you want to try something different.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #42

Uh, you're making one big (likely faulty) assumption, that his Boxster's paid for and that the Evo will be paid for with cash. Someone who's able to buy an '03 Boxster or any $40k car for cash probably isn't sweating maintenance costs. If your life is about "monflee" payments (as in "What's the monflee on that car?"), then I can see the prospect of a big repair being unnerving. Think in these terms and you'll get the reasoning.

That's why many (not all) people who want fancy cars that they either can't really afford to buy and/or can't afford to maintain after the warranty's over choose to lease. I'm not totally knocking leasing, people have their reasons for doing it, a big one being fixing their monthly transportation costs.

Buy new and you pay out the ass in depreciation and interest, but you have minimal maintenance. Or buy used, have less depreciation and more maintenance - more expensive maintenance if it's a Boxster. If you want to play you've gotta pay. Porsches have never been Toyota/Honda/Mitsu money to maintain. All cars are a losing proposition. How do you want to lose your $?

High maintenance costs aside, I adore my '02 S (purchased for $17k cash last year) and have no regrets. I can't think of a car that's even close in overall value for money.

Every time I see a Subie STi, Mitsu Evo or similar "performance car" with those idiotic dual Coke can tailpipes, droning exhaust note and goofy picnic table wing I just shake my head and chuckle. Yeah it'll "blow the doors off" my S, but those are hopped up econo-cars with no finesse, just great numbers. If that's your thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by demick
None of the financial reasoning I'm reading here makes any sense.

But if you really do like the car and would like to keep it, but are simply afraid of possible future costs, do this instead: Take the $25K that you would otherwise be out-of-pocket on your Boxster-Evo swap and put it in the bank. Anytime you have an unexpected expense on the Boxster, take it out of that account.

Chance are, 5 years from now, you still have more than $20K in that account. Even if you are very unlucky (total engine failure), you will still have $10K left in that account. Financially, there is almost no possible way for you to come out ahead by buying the Evo.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:12 AM   #43

So my wife says, "Ooooh theres one in the parking lot". So we stopped and looked at the 03 s that was parked in the grocery store parking lot. No other car has ever made her do that! Most definitely not the two racey looking hondas that have lived in our driveway over the kids teenage years. Case closed for me. Of course there never was a case for me, I got the go ahead to buy a sports car and thirty minutes into my search I found the boxster market and have been homing in on one ever since.

You know I got to say in this thread in particular there is alot of talk about performance car vs car. That has never played a very large part in my thinking about this car. Everytime I see the rear end of a boxster I see a car with unmatched styling and design. From any angle it gives this impression. Its like looking at a fine lady in an evening dress thats just a tad too tight. You know underneath it has all the performance it needs to make for a thrilling ride. No doubt about it, Im sold.
jcoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #44

We need to stop comparing apples and oranges. I can hear the laughter from visitors who stumble on this thread.

It's a roadster vs a street legal rally sedan.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
Uh, you're making one big (likely faulty) assumption, that his Boxster's paid for and that the Evo will be paid for with cash. ...
Fundamentally, it make no difference if he has the $25K cash or will make payments, as his out-of-pocket costs will be roughly the same. Take the $500 or $600 per month in payments for the Evo and put them in the bank instead and he'll very quickly have a big 'maintenance' stash.

No matter how you look at it, over the next 5 years, the Evo will depreciate by $25K. The Boxster will depreciate by about $5K-$7K. That's close to a $20K difference that anyone would be hard pressed to spend in maintenance on a Boxster (yes possible, but very unlikely).

However, in more recent posts he has made it more obvious that he just doesn't want the Boxster anymore. Initially, he made it sound like his reasoning was financial - which was why I posted this. But more recently it just sounds like he's done with the Boxster and wants a newer car with more HP. If that's what he wants, then thats what he should do. But he shouldn't kid himself into thinking he will save money in the process.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
We need to stop comparing apples and oranges. I can hear the laughter from visitors who stumble on this thread.

It's a roadster vs a street legal rally sedan.

Agreed!! I would never dream of trading in my Porsche for a Mitsubishi

I dont think any car under $80,000 comes close to the preformance of a Boxster......Speed yes..... but speed is not everything!
Evan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #47

[QUOTE=Evan528]Agreed!! I would never dream of trading in my Porsche for a Mitsubishi

I dont think any car under $80,000 comes close to the preformance of a Boxster......Speed yes..... but speed is not ever,ything![/QUOTEl

My Lotus Elise is better in every performance category with the exception of the motor blowing up, Porsche rules when it comes to that.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #48

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/lightning_lap_2011_3a_ll2_class_page_3#

Let's not even compare the Evo to Boxster... it can't even take on the Mustang... what a shame... :ah:

Seriously what are you guys smoking? I want some.

Last edited by ekam; 01-15-2011 at 12:25 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #49

lol... you are right about that!

The exact reason I leased my Cayman and will lease another one.......

I looked at the Lotus and loved it. I chose the Porsche instead mostly because of the interior. The Lotus has a very "race car" like interior with zero creature comforts.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #50

Different questions, different answers

"My Lotus Elise is better in every performance category"

So you can persuade your gf/wife to travel in it for a few hundred miles?

Take along enough luggage for a 2 week trip for 2..and a set of golf clubs?

Drive in auto-temperature controlled comfort?

Get it repaired in about every state/province in the US, CN, etc?

A car performs when it does well what you buy a car for. Is the Elise a faster track car? No quarrel. Better car for the daily grind of weekend jaunt? Entirely different question.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
...The Evolution X is not your typical queer ricer.
Perhaps not, but it sure looks like it is!

It's hard for me to even look at pictures of it online - if I had one in the driveway I'd leap over the back fence to avoid looking at it.
CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #52

Is me or Corvette Z06 beat both 911 turbo S and GT3?

Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/lightning_lap_2011_3a_ll2_class_page_3#

Let's not even compare the Evo to Boxster... it can't even take on the Mustang... what a shame... :ah:

Seriously what are you guys smoking? I want some.
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha055
Is me or Corvette Z06 beat both 911 turbo S and GT3?

Am I missing something?
Yeah it beat both.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #54

the corvette Z06 is fast on the track because it is set up for the track but is a terrible car to drive on the street . the new mustang GT even with it's new awesome engine is still a peice of **************** that will fall apart sooner than later. The Boxster spyder is very impressive but at 60K plus and that weird top .
You must keep also keep tires in mind if your reading the Car and Driver Battle they make the biggest difference .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:17 AM   #55

pictures of the subdued EVO touring for those who have never seen one , they are quite rare.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #56

Looks a bit like a Ford focus to me....... Just does nothing for me.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #57

Quote:
the corvette Z06 is fast on the track because it is set up for the track but is a terrible car to drive on the street . the new mustang GT even with it's new awesome engine is still a peice of **************** that will fall apart sooner than later.
Z06 a terrible car for the street? What's your basis for that opinion? I've driven a Z06 several hundred miles on the street over multiple days and it was fine. It would make a fine daily driver if you only needed two seats. Also, you apparently didn't get the memo, Ford quality has improved greatly the last couple years.

Quote:
pictures of the subdued EVO touring for those who have never seen one , they are quite rare.
I'd rather have an STI, those come with a real manual trans.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #58

you can get a 5 speed in the gsr model
Old 01-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #59
Track rat

Garage
Life is short. If the EVO really gets your blood flowing, go get one. It is certainly not for everybody but neither is a Boxster.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #60

The replies to this post is geting off track,The original post was about the reliability of the Boxster and that is not that fast of a car.

Lets deal with some facts about Your cars,

1, Your Boxsters are sloooow cars 0-60 time for my 99 is 7.7 sec That is pittifully slow for a sports, car my Volvo s40 t5 can do it in 6.5 sec. a 2011 base Boxster can do it in 6.0 sec better but not great. a 2011 Mustang W/a v6 can do it in 5.1 sec.

2, Reliablilty on your cars is a sad joke, My car W/ 60k on it has had all mant, done + I am having an indy shop doing the IMS,RMS and a new clutch job.right now.

I love my Boxster but it is not a great car and not for eveyone, I also own a 2006 Lotus Elise that I track and some times DD. It is a great car and true sports car. I can not believe that you can legally drive them the road, thay are really, a race car pretending to be a road car. as far as reliablilty it has been rock solid car W/0 prob.

Also some people are ripping on the Z06 have no idea what thay are talking about, The car is a beast on the track my Elise can keep up W/it in the turns and some times pass it but on the straightaways it blows past me as if I was standing still, and the car is great for a DD.

Like I said, I love my Boxster but the more I drive My Lotus the more I ask myself do I really need to keep Boxster?

jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote