Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #1

Boxster OIL

The manual recommends regular oil or synthetic oil. I always thought only synthetic was recommended??

ANYONE RUN REGULAR OIL IN THERE BOXSTER without problems?

Attached Images

dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Kinda curious - What problems would you expect?

Porsche had notoriously robust and long lasting race-ready engines from the 50s through the late 70s running straight weight oils or 20w50 mineral oil, suitable for daily driving and race conditions.

Not a knock on you, just curious

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #3

Ah the oil debate version 999

An oil used for racing is changed every day. The oil for a daily driver whose oil is changed every year is probably going to need different characteristics so I wouldn't want to judge what the dd would need from what the racers use. Porsche racing engines are kinda different from our M96 ones too.

There are furious debates over what oil to use on every Boxster forum. Never heard of anyone using non-synthetic oil or advocating it. Can you in a pinch if that is the only thing available in your country? Sure. Would the car last as long? Somehow I doubt it. Just like can you use lower octane petrol per the manual. But should you? Don't think so unless special circumstances.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

I believe the synthetic leaves less residue compared to regular oil, also the it has a superior lubrication than regular oil.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #5

I know that this is an old post, but I am having the same quandary. My reason is that I only drive my car about 2500 miles per year. Yes, I do autocross 8-10x per year, but I don't consider that to be overly taxing on the engine since the actual racing/driving time is limited to 4 minutes in the autocross.

Do I need to change the oil every year given my lower mileage? If so, is using synthetic oil still justifiable?$$?
Autocrosser#73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocrosser#73 View Post
I know that this is an old post, but I am having the same quandary. My reason is that I only drive my car about 2500 miles per year. Yes, I do autocross 8-10x per year, but I don't consider that to be overly taxing on the engine since the actual racing/driving time is limited to 4 minutes in the autocross.

Do I need to change the oil every year given my lower mileage? If so, is using synthetic oil still justifiable?$$?
regardless of miles driven, i would still do an oil change each year and stick with synthetic. the cost should be negligible.