986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   End of the road for my Box (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/27362-end-road-my-box.html)

Sain0rs 01-02-2011 01:41 PM

End of the road for my Box

3 Attachment(s)
New year, new car?

I was traveling northbound on a single lane road that split to become two lanes as it approached an intersection - the new lefthand lane is a turn only lane and the righthand lane continued straight.

A gentleman in a jeep was traveling southbound on the same road and wanted to turn into a gas station on my side of the road. The people that were waiting at the light in the northbound, left-turn only lane had stopped and waved him through. As you can imagine at 8 in the morning on a Monday he wasn't thinking and instead of slowly creeping across to get into the gas station he took the person's gesture to mean that he could safely cross both lanes and enter the gas station. I didn't have much time to react and tried to just slam on the brakes and turn into the gas station to avoid him but no luck.

Since I was only going about 20mph before I hit the brakes I thought it might have been OK but his insurance has declared my car a total loss and has bought from me for about $18k. I thought this was a pretty fair price for an 03 986S with 113k miles so now it may be time to find a newer 987 or 997.

Long story short I started a F/S thread with some misc things that I had laying around if anyone is looking for anything and I just wanted to say an open thanks to everyone here for helping out over the years. Best forum I've ever been involved with and wish everyone the best.

kx9862002 01-02-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sain0rs
New year, new car?

I was traveling northbound on a single lane road that split to become two lanes as it approached an intersection - the new lefthand lane is a turn only lane and the righthand lane continued straight.

A gentleman in a jeep was traveling southbound on the same road and wanted to turn into a gas station on my side of the road. The people that were waiting at the light in the northbound, left-turn only lane had stopped and waved him through. As you can imagine at 8 in the morning on a Monday he wasn't thinking and instead of slowly creeping across to get into the gas station he took the person's gesture to mean that he could safely cross both lanes and enter the gas station. I didn't have much time to react and tried to just slam on the brakes and turn into the gas station to avoid him but no luck.

Since I was only going about 20mph before I hit the brakes I thought it might have been OK but his insurance has declared my car a total loss and has bought from me for about $18k. I thought this was a pretty fair price for an 03 986S with 113k miles so now it may be time to find a newer 987 or 997.

Long story short I started a F/S thread with some misc things that I had laying around if anyone is looking for anything and I just wanted to say an open thanks to everyone here for helping out over the years. Best forum I've ever been involved with and wish everyone the best.

sry to hear about that, but 18k is not bad

mikefocke 01-02-2011 03:24 PM

The memories

The same look as my '99 back 5 years or so. Never thought it would be a problem getting it fixed, they stopped counting at $26k.

You did $ well for a 113k car.

Only glad you are OK. They do crush nicely to protect you, don't they.

PlayersExpress 01-02-2011 06:54 PM

I feel your loss, but you did get a fair price for the car. I would swap those rims out if I were you before they pick the car up. :)

lifeisgood 01-03-2011 07:35 AM

Sorry to hear that. $18K is a fair price for 113K miles.

What is for plan for the $18K? What is your next car?

Sain0rs 01-03-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Sorry to hear that. $18K is a fair price for 113K miles.

What is for plan for the $18K? What is your next car?

Haven't decided 100% yet. It's winter and I'm in New England so I might just buy a < $2k beater to get me to and from work while I hunt for something nice. I'm thinking 2005/2006 997S...?

Lordblood 01-04-2011 09:30 PM

I just bought a 01 S with 48k miles for 13,500 dollars, so you got a pretty good deal in my book.

Good 987's in the used lots run for mid 20's, so you'd have to invest some of your own money for that.

Maybe time for something a little different? M3's and M5's are within budget for you, maybe even a C5 Z06 if you invest a bit of money.